Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. Roelf Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Sitescope Failover SNMPTrap.log

Good day Experts,

I have an issue when SIS fails over from Primary to Secondary the SNMPTrap.log is read from the beginning. This results in old traps being sent as new alerts every time there is a failover from Primary to Failover.

Is there any way to aviod this?

Kind Regards,

Roelf

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Sitescope Failover SNMPTrap.log

Hi Roelf,

this is a known "behaviour" (or mis-behaviour) detected first with SiteScope 11.22,
an Service Request exists for this

QCCR1I100759 Sitescope Failover failback causes SNMP trap log monitors to reread

but it has not yet been implemented.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Roelf,

one addition, after better reading the CR:

Currently, if ‘merge back *.dyn files’ is enabled then, upon failback, the snmptrap.log on the primary is read from the offset that it was read up to on the failover server.  Unless ‘merge back configuration’ is also enabled, this offset will not correspond to where the file was read up to before failover, and it is likely that duplicate alerts will result.  (If the offset is somewhere in the middle of the file there may be duplicate alerts between that point and the end of the file, and if the offset is beyond the end of the file the file will be reread from the beginning resulting in lots of duplicate alerts).

I was not aware of this option
"Merge back configuration" option in High Availability Preferences > Edit failover profile > Advanced Settings > Merge back
which helps to overcome this oooooold limitation
- Do not make monitor configuration changes on the failover server unless Merge back configuration is
enabled on the primary SiteScope (Preferences > Failover Preferences > Advanced Settings).
Otherwise, changes on the failover server are not copied back to the primary machine and will be
overwritten by the next mirroring operation.

My understanding is that the issue you are experiencing doesn't occur if you enable the "Merge back configuration" option.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Roelf Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks Siggi,

I will attempt this during the next maintenance window.

Kind Regards,

Roelf

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.