Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Highlighted
christopher_lo_tiaa- Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Generating Reports - Task by Story and Sprint

Based on the way the front-end of the StarTeam client is set up, I don't see any way to pull Task level information by Story and Sprint into one report. Is there a way to pull this information from StarTeam?  It is critical for any Agile or Scrum team to be able to generate reports to include all Stories and their associated Tasks, along with their associated Sprints.

In the back-end StarTeam app, I can view all of the Tasks by clicking on the Tasks tab.  There must be a way to include a column for each Task's Sprint and Story, but there is no such field available as shown in the screenshot below.  Please advise.

Thanks in advanced!

--Chris

0 Likes
7 Replies
GraemeR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Generating Reports - Task by Story and Sprint

Hi Chris,

In “Show Fields” the only available fields will be the components enabled.  From the screenshot I see you have File, Req, CR etc enabled.  If you open ‘Tools | Personal Options | Advanced | Component Order’ further components can be enabled such as Sprint, Story.  Client needs closed and opened again for changes to take effect.  Further fields will now be available for selection like “Story”.  Unfortunately, all the fields you desire are not currently available but reporting is a feature we are looking to improve upon in the tool.

StarTeam Datamart however can be used to extract desired information.  This is a tool available with StarTeam Enterprise Advantage license and it extracts data from the StarTeam database into a readable format.  Then tools such as Crystal Reports can be used or DB queries written to build reports on Agile.

Graeme

StarTeam Engineer.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't quite solve my problem.  After selecting the Tasks tab, as shown by the red arrow in the screenshot, I would like to add the extra columns for Sprint, Story and Epic (also marked in the screenshot).  That way I can see what Sprint number or Story ID is associated with every individual Task.  In the front-end web app, Tasks have a parent Story.  I need to be able to view this information in the StarTeam client in the Tasks tab.  That way I can simply copy and paste the content into Excel.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't quite solve my problem.  After selecting the Tasks tab, as shown by the red arrow in the screenshot, I would like to add the extra columns for Sprint, Story and Epic (also marked in the screenshot).  That way I can see what Sprint number or Story ID is associated with every individual Task.  In the front-end web app, Tasks have a parent Story.  I need to be able to view this information in the StarTeam client in the Tasks tab.  That way I can simply copy and paste the content into Excel.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Seriously?  You just gave up on answering my question?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Chris,

The relationship between a Task and it's parent Story is represented in the Server as a link/trace between the assets.  You can see this data in the CPC client in the Links tab when you select the Task.

The Agile client provides a better view of the connection of these Agile assets for navigation, reporting and roll-up features as the CPC client is a more flat/classic representation of the data.

For reporting, you can also leverage the StarTeam DataMart to join together the Task, Story and Sprint assets via their traceability (all available in the DataMart DB) to run any kind of roll-up report that makes sense to your process.  If you have specific reports that you'd like the Agile client to provide out of the box in the UI rather than via DataMart, please let us know by contacting customer care.

Let us know if you have any questions on this response or still need more information to accomplish your task at hand.

Thanks very much,

Steve Vetica

Director of Development

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris

We looked at other ways and means to get this data but the best advice has already been noted above.

The Agile client shows a better overview and for reporting its best to use DataMart.

I looked into using STCMD but its not possible to extract this data as you need to build a multi-level report of sprints, stoires & tasks whereas the STCMD does  not provide this. Another option would be to build an SDK application to report on this.  Sprints contain stories, stories contain tasks, tasks contain workrecords so you could look to query the subsets by sprint ids or dates or users... that sort of thing.

If you have a resource available they could write it based on the StarTeam SDK, produce an xml output or html report.

Thanks David

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris,

I've incorporated a new report into the StarTeam Command Line Engine.

You can exercise it with the following query (run against stcmd or stcmdex)

select agile-breakdown from sprint {where ...} -p "..."

use the where clause to constrain the set of sprints you are interested in.

the resultant report is a denormalized join of (selected) sprints to contained stories to contained tasks to contained workrecords. You can write the output of the query to a file, and pick the field separator to be your control character(s) of choice.

you can download the command line documentation from here.

ftp://stsdkcust:LpeEFPwNMJ@emeaftp.microfocus.com/st_CmdTools_Help.pdf

The full grammar of the select statement is

stcmd{Ex} select * | access-rights | changes | linked-items | lifecycle |

links | workrecords | agile-breakdown | {propertyName, propertyName,...} |

filter = 'filename' from type 'typeName' {history} {deleted}

{at [label = "label" | promotionstate = "promotion state" |

datetime = "date" {-pattern "pattern"}]

into fileName { separator 'field separator' } { headers 'on' | 'off' where

{{ attached-label = 'labelName' } | { query = 'myquery' } |

propertyName relation value and/or propertyName relation value and/or...}

{for} {folder = 'myfolder' {recurse} or folder = 'myfolderhierarchy'

{recurse} or folder = . {recurse}} or ...}

order by {propertyName, propertyName,...} | orderFilter = 'myOrderFilter'

[–epwdfile “passwordfilepat”]

[-p "userName:password@hostName:endpoint/projectName/[viewName/][folderHierarchy/]"]

To try out this functionality, please first install the 14.0.2.43 version of the SDK from MicroFocus supportline, then drop the .jar's from here

ftp://stsdkcust:LpeEFPwNMJ@emeaftp.microfocus.com/14.0/starteam140.zip

in place into the installed sdk's lib folder, overwrite the existing .jar's

once you have the output, you can then import it into an excel spreadsheet, an access database, etc, and reformat it as .xml (using .xslt) or html for distribution.

The output is organized as follows.

the first 10 columns are Sprint details.

the next 20 columns are Story details

the next 25 columns represent the Task

the last 5 columns represent the WorkRecord

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.