StarTeam 16.3 has officially been released. We will continue to enhance our Git Client over the coming releases. With this release, customers who have Git today, can seamlessly integrate those users with StarTeam repositories without causing any disruption with existing policies and practices or requiring any training, configuration or separate installation. Your Git users will be able to experience all the benefits you have entrusted with StarTeam such as:
- Governance and compliance across your users and repositories
- Auditability (history is 100% immutable)
- Policy Management / Issue Enforcement (i.e. Change Packages)
- Ability to centrally manage users, repositories and fine-grained access controls
It is worth noting that this release was 100% customer driven. Customers who attend the StarTeam CAB helped shape the most important themes, which ended up as major features in StarTeam 16.3. If you would like to attend a future CAB, please reach out to your respective Micro Focus Account Team or reach out to the StarTeam Product Manager, Jimmy O’Rourke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This release has a number of new features and fixes. For a complete list of details for each of the fixes and feature enhancements, please review the Installation and Release Notes: https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/starteam/163/en/ST_ReleaseNotes_en.pdf
Below is a list of the High Level Themes addressed in 16.3:
Native Git Support (Git Client):
The Git Client brings centralized source code control and security to teams using Git clients. Git users can connect to the StarTeam Server using the regular Git commands to push and pull changes with their local Git repository. Teams are able to share Projects in StarTeam such that developers can work synchronously either with their favorite Git clients or StarTeam clients.
With the new Native Git Client, developers can:
- Use the clone command to clone a StarTeam View and its immediate child views as branches into a local Git repository.
- Use the fetch and pull commands to update a local Git repository with changes from StarTeam. When you pull changes, each StarTeam Change Package becomes a commit in a local Git repository. History is pulled over to Git.
- Use the push command to push changes from a local Git repository into StarTeam Server. Each Git commit becomes a StarTeam Change Package, including the user ID, timestamp, and comment. History is carried over to StarTeam.
- Git tags are pushed into StarTeam as Labels.
- The View Compare/Merge now has Fast Rebase and Promote menu options. This enhancement provides significant performance improvements while performing a full view rebase or promote.
- StarTeam now supports up to five property groups per filter
- Cross-Platform Client now provides and option to launch a read-only file pane containing the historical revisions attached to a revision label.
- Flag or unflag change packages from a menu option.
- Full View VCM (View Compare/Merge) has been optimized to take advantage of Change Package enforcement
- The Cross-Platform Client File menu now provides an option to directly rename a file in StarTeam.
- Emails sent from the StarTeam Cross-Platform Client now support rich text formatting with attachments.
Server and SDK Enhancements:
- The remote cache agent now supports access to a copy of the vault, if available
- StarTeam Server now supports Active Directory 2012.
- When a file is updated with a new version, and email is automatically generated and sent to users within the User Resource list. The User Resource list is defined per file.
- StarTeam offers a REST service in the SDK to allow you to build an REST application against the StarTeam Server.
For a complete list of all the new features and bug fixes, please refer to the Release Notes: https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/starteam/163/en/ST_ReleaseNotes_en.pdf
Please also visit our Community Site for period updates: https://community.microfocus.com/borland/managetrack/starteam/
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.