How to Pin StarTeam Client (CPC) to Windows 7 Taskbar
Due to a limitation in Windows 7, only Application (executables) shortcuts can be pinned to the Taskbar.
Normally to pin a specific program to the Windows 7 taskbar, just drag and drop the shortcut onto the taskbar, or right-click on the program icon and click "Pin to Taskbar."
However, this will not work with the StarTeam CPC as it uses a Java-based launcher system. So the normal 'pinning' of this application/shortcut will only pin the Java process to the Taskbar. The CPC will not launch.
The workaround is to 'trick' the Windows operating system into believing the StarTeam shortcut is an actual application.
- Launch Notepad or any other text editor. There is no need to type anything,
- Click File | Save as
- Select "Save as type" to "All Files"
- Name the file with an "exe" extension, for example, fake.exe.
- Save the file to the 'Desktop' for convenience
- Right-click on this 'fake' executable.
- Select "Pin to Taskbar and a new (standard) icon application will appear 'pinned' on the Taskbar
- Locate the shortcut to the StarTeam CPC on the Start menu
- Right-click this and select "Properties"
- Make a note of the entire "Target" field (copy and paste this into notepad so you can copy it later)
- Close this dialog.
- Right-click on the now 'pinned' fake application on the Taskbar and select "Properties"
- Enter the exact path as above into the "Target" field.
- The "Start In" field can remain as it is.
Optionally, you can use the "Change Icon" button to change the 'pinned' application to be the StarTeam icon. Simply browse to your StarTeam CPC installer folder and select the 'starteamcp.ico' file.
The StarTeam CPC will now launch directly from the Windows 7 Taskbar.