StarTeam vault storage
Created On: 20 October 2011
How does StarTeam vault storage mechanism work for checkin and checkout?
- A hive location is chosen
- The file is written to disk in a temporary folder in both uncompressed (original) format and compressed format
- The uncompressed file’s MD5 value is computed
- The compressed file’s size is compared to the uncompressed file’s size. If the size difference meets a minimum threshold, the compressed file is kept, otherwise the uncompressed file is kept.
- The file chosen not to be kept is discarded
- The MD5 signature of the uncompressed content is used for the file name
- A file extension such as “.gz” is added to denote files that are compressed
- The kept file is moved from the temporary folder into the appropriate folder tree subfolder
- If a file already exists in the same subfolder with the same name (and therefore the same MD5), the new file is discarded since it is a duplicate
- The storage manager locates the appropriate hive and subfolder and looks for both the compressed and uncompressed versions of the file
- The file found is returned to the client with a parameter that indicates whether or not the file is compressed
- If the file is compressed the client is responsible for decompressing it
Old KB# 34983