damion Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Blank error message at startup?

I'm having difficulty opening the StarTeam cross-platform client v12. When I attempt to open the application, I see the splash screen, and then an error message with no words on it, just an OK button and a red X. I have uninstalled the client, removed all references to it from the registry, rebooted, then reinstalled it, but I'm still seeing the problem. Any clue what this might be about? Screen shot:

0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Blank error message at startup?

is this the first time you've installed a starteam client on this machine or do you have others installed that do work? have you tried a different machine?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

This issue is known to happen whenever the CPC is installed on a machine which does not have a supported language installed on the system.

Could you please confirm the following:

Open CONTROL PANEL | REGIONAL & LANGUAGE SETTINGS | Select LANGUAGES tab | Press DETAILS

Confirm that you have installed a supported language (such as English, French, German, or Japanese) in addition to your standard locale language. This will be listed under ‘Installed services’.

0 Likes
damion Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No. I've been running v12 successfully for several months, and previous to that, I'd run v11 and v10. I was able to use the same installer on another, identically configured machine, and it worked just fine.

0 Likes
damion Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Interesting. I did confirm that I had English, Japanese, and Chinese all installed. I should mention that I had all 3 installed yesterday as well, and yesterday the v12 client was working just fine. The only thing I could think of that had changed was that my antivirus software had downloaded a new definitions file. But the problem persisted even when I deactivated the antivirus software, so I'm tempted to believe that it's unrelated.

0 Likes
Olotila Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You mentioned you removed all references to the StarTeam client from the registry.  You could also try removing StarTeam-related directories from your home directory.  With StarTeam 2009 CPC In Windows 7, those appear to be %APPDATA%\Borland\StarTeam and %LOCALAPPDATA%\Borland\StarTeam.

In the Micro Focus Knowledge Base, the article "Diagnosing Performance issues with the Cross-Platform Client" explains how to get stack traces from StarTeam CPC.  The article is for 2005 R2 but I think it applies to later versions as well.  If you get a stack trace when the error message appears, then it may show what part of StarTeam CPC caught the error.  Perhaps it will even show what StarTeam CPC was trying to do when the error occurred, although I doubt it.  kb.microfocus.com/.../article.aspx

Tags (1)
0 Likes
harish24 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The KB article provided doesn't work anymore,but still the problem persists
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What SDK/CPC build are you on? What server build are you on?
What version of the Windows Operating SYetms are you on?
Have you opened an incident with Microfocus Customer Support?
0 Likes
harish24 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i am using CPC 12.0, i am using windows server 2008.No i haven't opened any incident regarding the issue. Few users are facing this issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well, what I can tell you is that the 12.0 CPC is 5 year old technology.
We are now on the 16.0 CPC.
If you care to open an incident, MicroFocus Engineering will be in a position to help you upgrade.
0 Likes
Lucy_Locket Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am having the same issue with v 14.0 on Windows 10 and it was working just fine a couple of days ago. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted several times with no luck.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi, Would it be possible for you to open a support incident and we can investigate this further? My initial suggestion would be however to upgrade to the 16.x version of the CPC so you are at least on the most updated version.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.