Highlighted
Established Member.. mark_rutz
Established Member..

Changing Folder Names Affecting Older Views

Jump to solution

I've run into a problem with renaming folders.  We are using StarTeam Server version: 11.0.0.91(x64) and, personally, I'm running CPC 13.0.1-40 with SDK 13.0.1.34.  However, other users with various versions of the CPC are seeing the same thing.  Here is the situation:

• Start with a StarTeam project PROJECT_A with a base folder named FOLDER_A
  • Create a Read-only Reference view (VIEW_A) based on a labeled configuration
  • After the view is created, rename FOLDER_A to FOLDER_B

At this point, the problems start to happen.

• If you open VIEW_A, the folder appears as FOLDER_B even though the name change happened after the view was created
  • If you check out FOLDER_B/DOCS/FILE.txt, the FOLDER_B/DOCS/FILE.txt file and directory structure will be created locally
  • If you right-click on FOLDER_B and select Properties, the folder name in the GUI will change to FOLDER_A and the properties will match what was there at the time the view was created
  • Similar transformations of the folder name happen when "Creating Working Folders" and running some of the advanced folder options
  • Opening the root view and selecting a configuration based on the same label or a time prior to the folder name change gives the same results
  • The worst problem was an error when checking out files in the tree because CPC created FOLDER_B then attempted to check out FILE.txt into FOLDER_A

It appears that StarTeam is getting confused and presenting the current name of the folder instead of the name at the time the view was created. Has anyone run into a similar situation?  Does this happen with all view types?  Or do I need to make specific selections when the view is created?

This can play havok with automated build processes where the directory structure can get messed up because you don't know which folder name you might get.  I know we can work-around to some extent by specifying the directory structure instead of using the default, but this is not an optimal solution for all situations.  So, any help the community can provide would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Changing Folder Names Affecting Older Views

Jump to solution

I have just tested this on server build 11.0.0.93, 64 bit, and can verify that the problem you've described is immediately reproducible on that server, using either of the latest 13.0 or 14.0 clients.

As I mentioned, we no longer support the 11.0 product line.

You should seriously consider upgrading your server to our 14.0 Update 2 release.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I've just tested this scenario using the latest version of the 14.0.2.22, 64 bit server, and the 14.0 clients 14.0.2.20 CPC/14.0.2.21 SDK, as well as the 13.0 clients 13.0.1.44 CPC / 13.0.1.34 SDK.

I'm unable to reproduce the problem as described.

While I'm hunting around for the last known good 11.0 server (11.0.0.96), could you try upgrading your cpc to 13.0.1.44 and see if the problem persists?

You should be able to get the build from customer support.

Could you also install the most recent 14.0.2.22 server in a test environment, and try your use case?

It could be a bug fixed in the latest CPC versions, or a compatibility issue between the latest clients and the 11.0 server (we have stopped supporting 11.0).

I'll let you know if I discover anything, once I find the 11.0 server build.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I have just tested this on server build 11.0.0.93, 64 bit, and can verify that the problem you've described is immediately reproducible on that server, using either of the latest 13.0 or 14.0 clients.

As I mentioned, we no longer support the 11.0 product line.

You should seriously consider upgrading your server to our 14.0 Update 2 release.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks for researching this.  Unfortunately, we don't have the option of upgrading the server.  I haven't checked yet, but do you know if the problem exists if the 11.0 client is used?  We may have to revert to that version in the appropriate circumstances.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Olotila Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I don't see this bug with CPC 11.0.0-96, SDK 11.0.0.86, and Server 11.0.0.72.  We're not using MPX.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The bug is in the 11.0.0.91+ version of the server. It's not a client side problem, so reverting back to a 11.0 client won't help. If as Olotilla suggests, the bug is not in the 11.0.0.72 version of the server, then it's clearly a regression somewhere between 11.0.0.72 and 11.0.0.91. You do have the option of reverting back to  specific server version .72, or ask MicroFocus Customer Support whether StarTeam Server Engineering would be willing to fix this in the 11.0 code base and give you a 11.0 patch build.

You will need to tell them exactly what's preventing your upgrade, i suppose.

i cannot speak for the Server Engineering Team, or their willingness to fix something in 11.0, of course.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

The bug was not present as of 11.0.0.75 (the version I upgraded from).  However, I'm not sure going backward in server version is possible either.  When I upgraded from 11.0.0.75 to 11.0.0.91, there was a database upgrade.  So, I don't know if it's possible to go back without reverting our database to the backup we made when I upgraded the server...thus losing any work performed in the interim.  

Does anyone know if I can revert from 11.0.0.91(x64) to 11.0.0.80(x86) or 11.0.0.75(x86) without reverting the database?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

>> if I can revert from 11.0.0.91(x64) to 11.0.0.80(x86) or 11.0.0.75(x86) without reverting the database?

no you cannot.

at this point, your best bet is to raise an escalation with customer support, and see if StarTeam server engineering will be willing to fix this regression in the 11.0 code base.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.