Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
tazquebec Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looking for Starteam White Papers

Hi,

I'd like to find the document named "Parallel and variant development techniques with Starteam White paper: part 2 of 2".

It's for a demo for my colleagues; we're not using Starteam at its full potential.

Could anyone help me please?

Best regards,

Louis

0 Likes
3 Replies
tazquebec Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Looking for Starteam White Papers

I found that, but it's a little old.

http://www.nohau.se/$2/file/parallel-and-variant-development-techniques-with-starteam.pdf

0 Likes
Highlighted
mboomer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can find a copy on

www.borland.com/.../resources

Have look in the "How To Docs" section

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The document in question is indeed a bit old, but is still entirely relevant. The fundamental architecture of StarTeam has not changed from 2007 to date. Neither has the nature of the development process.

However, what the paper is missing is a proposal for tools to effectively manage the merge process. i.e. the paper does a good job of defining the problem, without necessarily expounding on the entire solution. (to be entirely fair, the tools were under development at that time)

StarTeam now has a very formal model for change management, espoused through a tool called View Compare Merge (VCM), which is built into the Cross Platform Client. VCM works at its best with branched views, specifically targeting parallel and variant development environments. Additionally, since StarTeam 12.0, VCM and File Checkin Management create formal Change Sets using a first class StarTeam artifact called a ChangePackage. ChangePackages provide audit trails and visual rendering of changes, are produced by the checkin or the merge process, and themselves act as sources for propagation of change sets across releases. (replay)

If interested, please let me know if you would like to set up a meeting / conference to walk through a demo of our suggested ALM best practices and processes w.r.t. parallel development, merging and branching across releases, the use of VCM, Change Packages and Process Items (Change Requests). I would be more than happy to oblige.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.