gregory_smith Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Restore Deleted Folders?

Jump to solution

A user accidentally deleted a folder he did not mean to delete.  Is there a way to get that folder (and all its files) back into the StarTeam project view, while maintaining its history, links, labels, etc.?

I found this post for StarTeam 6 and 2005: http://community.microfocus.com/borland/managetrack/starteam/w/knowledge_base/14966.is-there-any-way-to-get-deleted-folders-back.aspx

but it suggests all the labels will be unattached. 

It also suggests restoring from backup.  But I don't think I want to do that, as other projects have had activity since then.

So, on newer versions of StarTeam, is there a better solution?  Or, is there a way to only restore one project view from backup?  If not, I'll follow the steps in the link and attempt to restore labels where needed.

(We are running server 14.0.0.92 and CPC 14.0.3-41 and SDK 14.0.4.18.)

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Restore Deleted Folders?

Jump to solution

Hi Greg

The process is still the same for the current versions.

So I would have recommended what's in the knowledge base : rollback & share.

Currently we cant recover this from through the SDK or the server, as we don’t support un-delete.

However, this would be a valued enhancement request that we could log on your behalf.

Given the new information you provided , I think in this case you could move the deleted folder up to the parent, you would retain history (I think) but you would lose the labels since it would be a new branch anyhow.

If you want additional assistance on this, please let us know and we will log an issue and investigate further.

Cheers David

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Gregory,

I would recommend the process below, provided the child view has not been altered since the deletion mistake was discovered:

Take a full backup

Open the child view

Go to View | Compare Merge

Choose a promote

Include all object types

In the VCM summary, the affected folders will be marked as ignore (with a difference type of deleted in target)

Right click and change the action to reverse share

Do the same for the files within those folders in the file tab

Review the rest of the merge scenario and review for any inconsistencies

Commit the session with a descriptive pre and post commit view label

0 Likes
5 Replies
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Let me add some new information, too.  The user had just branched to a new View.  He thought he was removing folders from the new view that he did not want.  Instead, he was looking at (and deleting from) the parent view.

Is there a way to promote back up the delete folders from the child view, where they still exist, and retain history, labels, etc.?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Greg

The process is still the same for the current versions.

So I would have recommended what's in the knowledge base : rollback & share.

Currently we cant recover this from through the SDK or the server, as we don’t support un-delete.

However, this would be a valued enhancement request that we could log on your behalf.

Given the new information you provided , I think in this case you could move the deleted folder up to the parent, you would retain history (I think) but you would lose the labels since it would be a new branch anyhow.

If you want additional assistance on this, please let us know and we will log an issue and investigate further.

Cheers David

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Gregory,

I would recommend the process below, provided the child view has not been altered since the deletion mistake was discovered:

Take a full backup

Open the child view

Go to View | Compare Merge

Choose a promote

Include all object types

In the VCM summary, the affected folders will be marked as ignore (with a difference type of deleted in target)

Right click and change the action to reverse share

Do the same for the files within those folders in the file tab

Review the rest of the merge scenario and review for any inconsistencies

Commit the session with a descriptive pre and post commit view label

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks, David & Ed.

I will attempt a "partial Promotion" (i.e. reverse share) first and let the user know the labels will be lost.  (It was his personal sandbox, so it's inconvenient, but not disastrous.)  I do not think he's made other changes in the either view yet.  But if that doesn't work, I'll go back to the wiki article.

As for making an un-delete function, I would very much appreciate that being a feature in the future.  In my head, I guess that's a "basic function" of version control and configuration management.  If a user inadvertently changes/deletes/modifies something, I expect to be able to, at very least, roll-back to a previous point in time and "start again" as if the change didn't occur.  That would imply getting history up to that point, as well as labels and everything else, too.

At a more advanced level, I'd like to be to undo (delete?) a change package so that even StarTeam didn't think the change(s) occurred.  (The details would have to be really thought through whether a change package would be removed or if a new change package that modifies a previous one would be the actual course of action so that no history was lost.  It sounds complicated, but would be an awesome feature and one I'm sure your team could come up with!)

Thanks, guys!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

I've logged this with our development team. I'll keep you updated via email.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.