Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
psciascia Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Some events are not picked up by my listeners

This is a bit of a tricky one, but perhaps someone can help me debug.

I have an event monitoring applications running constantly it has  an ItemListener (for itemAdded and itemChanged) and a viewMemberListerner (for viewMemberAdded) for 15  different views (5 sets of 3 -level hiarchies).

It seems that for a single set of 3 views, nothing is getting picked up from either listeners. I have administrator priveldges so I know it's not an access thing. 

All these listener are instantiated in a loop (of views), so I know it's not  a typo either.

Does anyone know how I can find the root of this issue?

I output the events received on the console as they arrive so I can clearly see that 12 out of 15 views respond well.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Some events are not picked up by my listeners

i assume you are registering for events on all 15 views.
I assume that changes are being made into the 3 views for which events are not flowing.
the only thing i could suggest is to examine the view properties of these 3 views, see if they have anything in common that makes them different from the other 12.
also check their view types. e.g. are they branch all or reference views,, etc...
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Your assumptions are correct. And I've checked the properties and all are the same.
I'm going to make another version of my watcher that only registers one of the 3 views and see if it starts picking them up events.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Update.
Ran the watcher app with only the 3 problematic views and it worked fine.
Could I be running into a maximum allowable listeners?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

no, there's no bound to the listener map
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

ok. I did another test:
6 views - the 3 that do not work plus 3 that work in the same project - all 6 respond.
6 views - the 3 that do not work plus 3 that work in a different project - the three problematic ones do not respond.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

The plot thickens:
I did the same 6-view test that failed a few minutes ago but with 3 view from another different project, and all 6 reponded.
It's almost like there's a clash between two specific projects.
P1/V1-V3 + P2/V1-V3 -> P1/V1-V3 do not repond
P1/V1-V3 + P3/V1-V3 -> all respond
P1/V1-V3 + P1/V4-V6 -> all respond

I'll go view by view with the clashing projects now...
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Seems like my test was incorrect.
I was modifying a task by adding a character in the new "rich description" property, then a subsequent test by removing it.
I just noticed that if I remove the character from that field and click OK on the task, not only is the event not fired, but the character removal is also not saved. Next time I open the task it is still there???
Now I replace the task and the event is fired and received every time.
I apologize for all these messages. I realize that my test is a little silly but perhaps you should look into that new field. it's by no means an urgent bug, but once you have a rich text description, you cannot delete it, only modify.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.