New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

StarTeam sudden performance loss

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 19 May 2011]

Over the last couple of weeks, the performance of StarTeam has become abysmal for us. Here's some information about our configuration:

8 users, 1 location, 100MB network
StarTeam Server Build: 11.0.0.69
StarTeam SDK Build: 11.0.0.44
Native file access library: yes
StarTeam server running on Windows Server 2008 64-bit, in a Hyper-V VM. VM has 1.5GB RAM, 1 core 2.5 Ghz Intel Xeon E420.
StarTeam database is running on a separate physical machine, non VM, Windows Server 2008, 4GB RAM, 2 core 2.8 Ghz Pentium D, SQL Server 2005 SP3. Database has 3 data files, about 150MB each, and 3 log files, 450MB, 150MB, 150MB. Other than log file 01, these are still the size they were when we created them 7 years ago. According to sp_spaceused, there are 522,415 rows, 153MB reserved, and 92MB used.

For database maintenance, I've rebuilt indexes, update statistics, and usage. For StarTeam maintenance, I did an online purge.

StarTeam Cross Platform Client Build: 11.0.0-52
StarTeam SDK Build (on workstation): 11.0.0.46
StarTeam MPX is in use and our connections do show the lightning bolt.

I've been happy with StarTeam's performance for years. The performance just suddenly took a dive a couple of weeks ago. Monitoring system resources of both servers and workstation, I can't find anything showing a bottleneck. This includes monitoring CPU, memory, disk, and SQL connections to our StarTeam database. Everything appears idle. The SQL connections aren't even in a wait state. Yet it takes so much longer to do things, such refresh the Change Request view or check in a file.

Any pointers that would help me locate the source of the slowdown or improve performance would be appreciated. I'm less interested in "best practices", as we've used articles from Randy Guck and the "StarTeam Performance and Scalability Techniques" whitepaper when planning our StarTeam implementation. I'm more interested in things to look for when performance suddenly takes a nose dive.

Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well, for starters, the server build is now at 11.0.0.85, the SDK build is at 11.0.0.70 & the CPC build is at 11.0.0.74.
You would probably be wise to upgrade both the server & all deplyed clients.

However, I strongly recommend that you open a case with MicroFocus Customer Support and give the engineering team an opportunity to analyze your configuration and environment.

I am afraid there is not much other advise that I can offer you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unfortunately our support maintenance was not renewed this year. So I can't get the updates or open a support case.

I was hoping someone on these forums that might have some advice.

I came back to this post to add that it is taking 10 seconds to set an active process item. 😞 Check-ins are probably the worse though.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

>>it is taking 10 seconds to set an active process item. 😞 Check-ins are probably the worse though.
This has been fixed in an SDK patch at least a year ago.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jon:

Here are some questions that maybe can help.

Have you checked space available in vaults?
Have you checked the vault and if disks are OK ?
Have you checked that an antivirus isn't scanning the vault ?
Have you checked virtual memory on Starteam Server (There is a change that can be done in boot.ini 3GB file don't know if possible in win2008) ?
Is the Root MPX running on the same box as Starteam Server? How do you restart the services ? Mpx first and then Starteam Server ?
Did you test it without using MPX?
Do you have a root Cache installed, Where ?

Got more questions but maybe these can help you

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.