New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Swapping folder names -side effects

Hi Anil,

Just would like your expert opinion on renaming folders.  We have 2 folders with I would say 80% commonality between them, but now want to rename them.  Would renaming simply using Properties for the two folders have any 'side effects' or possible un-wanted results by any chance.  We have a lot of revision labels that reference both folders, and want to ensure that if you label pointing to a label (say 'Source') that we're now changing to 'Soure-Old', if StarTeam is smart enough to know that those references should now point to 'Source-Old'.  If it doesn't please lay out some sort of process on how I can do this correctly.

This folder mess was done before I got to the organization so it was not my doing 🙂

Thanks,

Ed

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ed,

No, folder renaming shouldn;t cause any issues inside StarTeam.

So, labels (as a good example) will be unaffected.

everything in StarTeam is identified internally by its unique view member id.

names are simply human readable properties of things.

you (& your user base) will have mapping issues to your working folders on disk, of course,

since the originl folder names will show up as not-in-view status, and the new ones as missing.

but you and your users can address that by deleting & checking out  (or renaming) the working folders on dsk, and then doing a force update status, and lastly, cleaning up the local status database

(CPC Tools-Personal Options - File - Repository Purge)

take care

anil

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Ed,

As long as you rename the folders via StarTeam CPC (and not, for example, through Windows Explorer), you will not have problems.

The renaming via the 'Properties' of a folder will ensure correct revision handling and internal 'refactoring'.

I would also suggest to not rename one folder to the same name as the other folder (StarTeam will allow this!) but instead, as you have alluded to, use something like 'Source-old' first.

Primarily to avoid confusion, especially as you said they both have 80% commonality between them!

As Anil said items such as labels will be unaffected by folder renames (if done through the CPC).

Any renaming of "local" folders can be done after the rename through the CPC, if necessary.

Renaming the folder first via Windows Explorer will result in a "new" folder appearing in StarTeam and you will loose (for this folder) all revisions and labels etc. And still have the original folder in the CPC.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.