Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
mikenol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VCM rebase won't continue with Ignore merge action

Jump to solution

Hey all, have a strange one.

When running a VCM rebase, I have a CR that exists in the target (branch) but not in the source (trunk).  The VCM session has a green checkmark for this CR but it will not let me commit the changes (the commit icon is grayed out).  The Merge Status for the CR is Resolved and the Merge Action is Ignore.  If this is the only CR, that is fine as I can ignore it myself and close the VCM session.  But if I have another CR that exists in the source and not the target, I need to commit the VCM session to get the new CR to the target (and leave the other CR in the target alone) but it won't let me do that because it says there is still a "conflict" that needs to be resolved.

This becomes a bigger issue when I am using the VCMUtility to automate the rebase of the CR's.  VCMUtility sees the conflict and will not continue.

I see an option called "Mark Resolved" for the CR that has the state of Ignore but I cannot find any documentation on what that option is or does.

I hope this makes sense.  I can go into more detail and provide an example if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikenol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: VCM rebase won't continue with Ignore merge action

Jump to solution

Thanks to Anil, we were able to figure out what was going on.  This is an issue another user had reported several months ago that has since been addressed.  The change (to now say - Differences found -- no unresolved conflicts. - and let the commit proceed) is available in the latest 13.x and 14.x SDK and CPC.

Thanks as always for the help Anil.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

>> a CR that exists in the target (branch) but not in the source (trunk).  The VCM session has a green checkmark for this CR

So, this CR is not a problem. It's difference type is/should be 'Missing in Source, Present in Target' & it's action is /should beIGNORE. It's Merge Status should show up as Resolved.

>>another CR that exists in the source and not the target

This CR should not be a problem either. It's difference type should be 'Present in Source, Missing in Target' and it's action should be SHARE. It's Merge Status should also show up as resolved.

>>won't let me do that because it says there is still a "conflict" that needs to be resolved.

There must be yet another artifact in your session which is causing the red question mark, and thereby preventing the commit. This artifact's Merge Status will be Unresolved, and its Difference Type will probably be 'Modified in Source, Modified in Target'

You will need to merge the conflicting content (if this artifact is a File and the content is causing the conflict) or the conflicting property (all other cases)

For property merges, you'll need to right mouse click on the offending artifact, select 'Properties' the first menu option, then in the property dialog resolve any unresolved merge conflict on the indicated properties, picking either the source value or the target value or providing a new merged value.

Once you have resolved merge conflicts for all unresolved artifacts, the red ? should disappear, and the commit button should be enabled.

0 Likes
mikenol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

All I am rebasing is CR's, nothing else (when doing the rebase, change requests is the only thing checked). The CR on the target is the only thing showing up in the VCM session.  There is no red question mark.  All there is is a green checkmark but the commit button is still grayed out.  Here is a screenshot of what I see.  Some things blacked out to protect the innocent and now there are two showing the same thing... :-)

As far as I can tell, the recreate is this...

Have a trunk with some number of CR's

Have a branch from the that trunk

Rebase the CR's - this will work

Create a new CR in the branch

Try to rebase all CR's (only) from the trunk to the branch

The VCM session will show the CR in the branch

The Merge Status will be "Resolved"

The Merge Action will be "Ignore"

The Commit button will be grayed out

If you right click on the CR, the only available options are...

Overwrite

Needs review

Mark Resolved

0 Likes
mikenol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Ah man, it removed my screenshot (I was using rich formatting).  Is there a way to upload screenshots here?

0 Likes
Highlighted
mboomer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

You can try and add it to the files tab

0 Likes
mikenol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks to Anil, we were able to figure out what was going on.  This is an issue another user had reported several months ago that has since been addressed.  The change (to now say - Differences found -- no unresolved conflicts. - and let the commit proceed) is available in the latest 13.x and 14.x SDK and CPC.

Thanks as always for the help Anil.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.