Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1296 views

Question about Sentinel Service

Hi,
best practices suggest that Sentinel services be activated any where there
is storage being managed. Is it possibled to configure only Sentinel Service
without Event Service ?
Because configure a event service means that must be a replica on this
server!
What is the function of an proxy sentinel service?

Regards
Andy


0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Question about Sentinel Service

Andy,
Yes Sentinel can be run without the Event Monitor turned on. The
FSFEvent.nlm has two services embedded within it. The Event Monitoring
service can only run on a server with a replica, but the Sentinel
service can run servers without replicas. The Sentinel service is a
service that sits and waits until the Engine tells the Sentinel to do
something like a file copy, etc. The Sentinel can handle most of the
file system functions delegated from the Engine to keep the Engine from
being overworked.

The proxy sentinel gives one server the ability to receive the delegated
work from the Engine on behalf of some other server. If the Engine has
work that can be delegated the Engine will check it's Sentinel list to
see if a Sentinel has been setup to handle the work. If Server A is a
very busy server, and has the storage attached. Because Server A is busy
I load Sentinel on Server B and configure it to proxy for Server A. If
the Engine has work for a target path on Server A the Engine will
delegate the work to Server B instead of Server A.

Server B will also take any snapshots configured for a Volume on Server A.

Hope this helps,

NSM Development



Andy wrote:
> Hi,
> best practices suggest that Sentinel services be activated any where there
> is storage being managed. Is it possibled to configure only Sentinel Service
> without Event Service ?
> Because configure a event service means that must be a replica on this
> server!
> What is the function of an proxy sentinel service?
>
> Regards
> Andy
>
>

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Question about Sentinel Service

One more Question!

Does the Engine-Server need a replica if i dont use it as Event Service too?

Regards
Andy

"NSM Development" <storagemanager@novell.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:jRnFh.2870$ra4.815@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Andy,
> Yes Sentinel can be run without the Event Monitor turned on. The
> FSFEvent.nlm has two services embedded within it. The Event Monitoring
> service can only run on a server with a replica, but the Sentinel service
> can run servers without replicas. The Sentinel service is a service that
> sits and waits until the Engine tells the Sentinel to do something like a
> file copy, etc. The Sentinel can handle most of the file system functions
> delegated from the Engine to keep the Engine from being overworked.
>
> The proxy sentinel gives one server the ability to receive the delegated
> work from the Engine on behalf of some other server. If the Engine has
> work that can be delegated the Engine will check it's Sentinel list to see
> if a Sentinel has been setup to handle the work. If Server A is a very
> busy server, and has the storage attached. Because Server A is busy I load
> Sentinel on Server B and configure it to proxy for Server A. If the Engine
> has work for a target path on Server A the Engine will delegate the work
> to Server B instead of Server A.
>
> Server B will also take any snapshots configured for a Volume on Server A.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> NSM Development
>
>
>
> Andy wrote:
>> Hi,
>> best practices suggest that Sentinel services be activated any where
>> there is storage being managed. Is it possibled to configure only
>> Sentinel Service without Event Service ?
>> Because configure a event service means that must be a replica on this
>> server!
>> What is the function of an proxy sentinel service?
>>
>> Regards
>> Andy



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Question about Sentinel Service

Andy,
The Engine Server is not required to have a replica. Understand that is
has proved helpful at many WAN based locations.

NSM Development


Andy wrote:
> One more Question!
>
> Does the Engine-Server need a replica if i dont use it as Event Service too?
>
> Regards
> Andy
>
> "NSM Development" <storagemanager@novell.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:jRnFh.2870$ra4.815@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> Andy,
>> Yes Sentinel can be run without the Event Monitor turned on. The
>> FSFEvent.nlm has two services embedded within it. The Event Monitoring
>> service can only run on a server with a replica, but the Sentinel service
>> can run servers without replicas. The Sentinel service is a service that
>> sits and waits until the Engine tells the Sentinel to do something like a
>> file copy, etc. The Sentinel can handle most of the file system functions
>> delegated from the Engine to keep the Engine from being overworked.
>>
>> The proxy sentinel gives one server the ability to receive the delegated
>> work from the Engine on behalf of some other server. If the Engine has
>> work that can be delegated the Engine will check it's Sentinel list to see
>> if a Sentinel has been setup to handle the work. If Server A is a very
>> busy server, and has the storage attached. Because Server A is busy I load
>> Sentinel on Server B and configure it to proxy for Server A. If the Engine
>> has work for a target path on Server A the Engine will delegate the work
>> to Server B instead of Server A.
>>
>> Server B will also take any snapshots configured for a Volume on Server A.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> NSM Development
>>
>>
>>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> best practices suggest that Sentinel services be activated any where
>>> there is storage being managed. Is it possibled to configure only
>>> Sentinel Service without Event Service ?
>>> Because configure a event service means that must be a replica on this
>>> server!
>>> What is the function of an proxy sentinel service?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Andy

>
>

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.