Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

ChatOps for StormRunner Load: Let's Communicate

What is ChatOps?

ChatOps, a term widely credited to GitHub, is all about collaboration in the Dev/IT workforce. By bringing your tools into your conversations and using a chat bot modified to work with key plugins and scripts, teams can automate tasks and collaborate, working better and faster.  (the full article)

In other words for ChatOps we need a "chat room" and a "bot". For our first steps we choose "Slack" as chat room and "Hubot" (GitHub’s bot written in CoffeeScript and Node.js) as our bot.

What is HPE StormRunner Load?

Hewlett Packard Enterprise StormRunner Load is a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution for Web and mobile application performance and cloud testing, for both internal and external applications. Its capabilities include:

• Performance test script authoring and editing at the UI and API layers of a Web or mobile application
  • Test planning
  • System monitoring of the application under test
  • Test execution and management of the cloud-based test infrastructure

It’s only natural that one will want to create a ChatOps bot so that we can communicate with StormRunner Load through. After doing some research, I found out that there wasn’t a bot created for StormRunner Load, so I decided to develop one by myself.

Beginning the creation process

This is where StormRunner Load Public API came in handy. The API exposes many capabilities of the product that you can perform against it. is very well documented and easy to use. In addition, it allows you to try the API for yourself in your browser to examine how the REST calls work.

snippet from SRL bot in Slacksnippet from SRL bot in Slack

In my case, I created a ChatOps bot (written in CoffeeScript/JavaScript, get more information on how to create a bot), in which you can communicate with your tenant of StormRunner Load. I originally used a framework named Hubot, but updated it to Hubot-Enterprise. When the chatting with the bot, it performs several REST calls against StormRunner Load:

• List all projects
  • Set the project you are working
  • Get results for a specific test
  • Run a test (and receive a URL to view the run)

This is only a portion of the capabilities offered by StormRunner Load Public API. Get more information on StormRunner Load Public API here.

You can also find the bot in our GitHub repository here.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @HPE_LoadRunner.

***This is an open source project (under Apache 2 EULA)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.