h_miz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Trying to update/convert LoadRunner script to StormRunner

I am using LoadRunner 12.02/12.5 (Community Edition) and TruClient, and am interested in StormRunner for higher concurrency vuser tests. I have signed up for the 1 month trial to evaluate it's potential, but I have the following difficulties in changing/converting my scripts to be used in StormRunner.

1. I used parameter files accessible from a central network share (easier to maintain and share with multiple scripts). Because StormRunner scripts need to be self-contained (script + data), I need to make my parameter files local. Not a big deal, but wondering if VTS might be easier to setup & use compared to parameter data files. How would it work in StormRunner. Do I need to host a VTS server which is accessible from the internet?
  2. I use a TruClient global library (again, accessible from a central network share). that is used by multiple scripts. It looks like I need to MANUALLY copy all my functions and put them in a TruClient local library. This seems to me a lot of effort, especially if I have multiple scripts that use the same global library (meaning I have to make the changes to every script I intend to upload to StormRunner). Is there a simpler way?
  3. IP spoofing - I know this is not currently possible, but am wondering whether this is in the future plans for StormRunner. I will probably need to access my web application through a load balancer.
  4. Using TruClient standalone vs. VuGen standalone. I was surprised to see that the TruClient standalone couldn't open an exsting script! I have to create an empty script, and then copy my script files there??? I guess I am sticking with VuGen standalone, or using VuGen in my LoadRunner Community Edition to edit/maintain my scripts.
  5. I have to convert my scripts to TruClient Web protocol. Does it make sense to convert my scripts and use them/maintain them in LoadRunner for small scale tests? I am worried about losing functionality as I think TruClient Web has less functionality.

I have more issues, but this is just my first attempt of trying to get a script usable for use with StormRunner. I haven't even tried to run a load test yet.

TL;DR - it looks like a lot of work to make my LoadRunner scripts usable in StormRunner, and I am worried that I will need to maintain 2 versions of my scripts for use with LoadRunner and StormRunner.

0 Likes
3 Replies
AvniLior Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Trying to update/convert LoadRunner script to StormRunner

Hello h_miz,

You have asked several important questions and raised some valid points.

let me try to refer to each of them accordingly (referring to your ordering of them):

1. You are correct, currently StormRunner does not support accessing files from a central network share and the only way around this is to use local files. Cumbersome, but necessary, as you are dealing with a cloud based performance testing application. We are working on improving these capabilities and once a solution is implemented, we will update. Regarding VTS - StormRunner has supported VTS from day 1 of its inception. There are 2 ways to do this: either create a VTS that is exposed to the Internet and can be access by the Clowd LG's, or if you are using an On-Premise LG - the VTS can be local
  2. Same as above I'm afraid - there is no workaround this currently
  3. IP Spoofing is in the roadmap
  4. TC StandAlone works with ZIP files. If you want to open an existing TC script in TC StandAlone, simply zip the content of the folder (content, not the entire folder) and you can open it in TC SA.
  5. Less functionality compared with what and for what end? Remember that each protocol tests different things. Our recommended best practice is to have both a Web (HTTP / HTML) and TruClient script for the same application but run in a 80/20 ratio (most users for the backend traffic and a small portion of the users to test the user experience).

We would love to hear any and all feedback you have on StormRunner to help us improve and deliver the best product possible.

I look forward to hearing from you on how your attempt to run a load test went.

Good Luck and feel free to ask any question you have,

Lior

0 Likes
BTCons
Visitor.

Hi Lior,

Sorry to crash this thread.

I'd also like to implement VTS tables into my StormRuner scenarios. The difference is, I need to maintain multiple tables.  For this reason, plus the fact that I'm Old School, I'd like to ask if / how vts2 could be implemented.  All of my scripts are c based?

Without trying to answer my own question, would I just stand up a windows cloud instance, install vts and point my cloud generators to it?

Is there a nice solution?

thanks

0 Likes
AvniLior Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

Sorry for the delay in response and wishing you a happy new year 🙂

The answer to your question is "Yes".

You just need to make sure that the VTS is accessible from the public internet (from SRL LGs in the cloud).

Hope this helps,

Lior

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.