Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

2 policy versions distributed to a node

L.S.

OMU9, recent upgrade from OVO8 Unix.

I have some policies, belonging to 2 groups, all version 1.0, fixed assignment.

I edited them using the adminUI, only to create a new version (because we used are own version numbers in OVO8). I did not change anything, just saved it as a specific version,

In both policy groups, I used the adminUI to change assignment mode from Fixed to Latest.

After distributing to a node (opcragt -distrib -template -force) I find some policies on the agent are still 1.0.

Further investigation (using adminUI) shows:

- node has no direct assignments

- policy is not directy assigned to node or node group.

- 1 policy group is assigned to the (only) nodegroup where the node belongs to.

- node effective assignment shows correct versions

- opcragt -distrib -templates -force -simulate shows both versions for the policies I changed. For some policies it shows version 1.0, followed by the new version, for others the new version is shown before version 1.0 is shown. And indeed, when 1.0 is shown after the new version, the agent ends up with version 1.0.

I also used opcpolicy -copy_pol to create a new version. Same problem.

I removed version 1.0 from one policy. Then the right version is shown by the agent (ovpolicy -list).

Any suggestions?

JP

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: 2 policy versions distributed to a node

Even worse: If I ask the gui for the parent policy groups of version 1.0, is shows none.So how can it distribute version 1.0?

JP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i am not sure if this helps, but, check this once... give it a try...

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1231998

Assigned version of the policy on the node doesn't change even after deploying the latest policy to the node in OM 9 AdminUI.

Solution

Checking the current Policy Assigment mode:

When the assignment mode for that particular policy is checked:

1.  From the AdminUI Web interface: Select the "OMU" icon.

2.  Next from the "Browse" Drop Down Tab select "All Nodes"

3.  Then from the Browse Icon for corresponding node you are working with select "Effective Policy Assignments".

Result:  At this point your will see the policies listed with ther effective mode assignments, in this case if the mode is "fixed" you can change/update this.

To Update or Change the Policy Assignments:

To change or update that policy to the "latest" mode which will allow the latest updated version of that policy to be deployed to the Managed Node when you initate policy updates for the node either through the AdminUI or command line do the following:

1.  In the AdminUI Web interface from the "All Nodes" selection.

2.  Select the node then click on action icon. 

3.  From the drop down menu, select 'Update Assignments'.

4.  In the resulting dialog box select the filter as fixed version and enter the version number of the policy that is currently assigned to the node and then select update to 'Latest' (if you want the future changes in the policy version to be automatically reflected on the node) or 'Fixed' (if you want to change it only once) and then enter the latest version number of the policy that you want to reflect on the node. Click on ok and in the resulting screen click on 'Apply Updates'.

Result:  Now the version number of the policy will be changed on the node to the latest version.  Once the policies are re-deployed to the node then the node will have the latest updated policies.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

L.S.

Thanks for the reply. However, assignment is latest.

See attachment for a screenshot and a text file.

JP.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.