John von Gunten Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Apminfo.xml

Jump to solution
I'm trying to get OMW policies to be cluser aware using apminfo.xml, but it's not working. Here's what I've done so far:

- Installed Operations Agent for Windows 8.60.6 on both nodes of a cluster
- Deployed DBSPI policies to nodes
- Created the following apminfo.xml in %ovagentdir%\conf\conf:

dbspi_mssqlserver

BALMSQ36AN1
SQL Server

BALMSQ36AN1 is the name of the node that has this .xml.

- Created the following dbspi_mssqlserver.apm.xml in %ovagentdir%\bin\instrumentation:

dbspi_mssqlserver

cmd /c dbspicol ON $instanceName
cmd /c dbspicol ON $instanceName

- Verified the "Templates" all match the deployed policies we want enabled/disabled.
- Killed and started the agent.
- Did the same for the other node of the cluster.

However, the policies do not enable/disable themselves as they should. I have verified that in Cluster Administrator (these are Windows 2003 nodes), the "Owner" is listed as BALMSQ36AN1 or BALMSQ36AN2, and the "Resource Type" is listed as "SQL Server".

I think I followed all the instructions to get this to work, but I may be missing something. Does anyone else have some insight into this?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Ram_21 Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Apminfo.xml

Jump to solution
Hello

On the cluster node where you have installed the OMW agent, can you run the commands

ovclusterinfo
ovappinstance

Use the output of both these commands (especially the second) to check that the apminfo.xml file is setup correctly (as what OMW agent is expecting).

Hope this helps.
Regards
Ram
10 Replies
Absent Member.. Sree_CMS Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Create a virtual node with cluster name. Assign the polcies to cluster node and deploy.

Check ovconfchg -ns conf.cluster

MONITOR_MODE should be TRUE..
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Is it necessary to create a virtual node? This wasn't the case in OVOW 7.5 and we don't do this for clusters by default.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ram_21 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hello

On the cluster node where you have installed the OMW agent, can you run the commands

ovclusterinfo
ovappinstance

Use the output of both these commands (especially the second) to check that the apminfo.xml file is setup correctly (as what OMW agent is expecting).

Hope this helps.
Regards
Ram
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Ram, I wish I could give you more points for this. Those two commands were EXACTLY what I needed to troubleshoot this. My issue was the cluster group name was wrong in ampinfo.xml and ovappinstance pointed it right out. I fixed that and it works like a charm now.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Ram, I wish I could give you more points for this. Those two commands were EXACTLY what I needed to troubleshoot this. My issue was the cluster group name was wrong in ampinfo.xml and ovappinstance pointed it right out. I fixed that and it works like a charm now.
0 Likes
sekar sundaram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Ram,

sorry for replying in this post, but the two commands are not available on the cluster nodes. on command prompt, as well as on file search.

even on our windows mgmt server itself this two commands(ovclusterinfo and ovappinstance) are not available. ours is OVOW 7.5 and the cluster is on windows server 2003.

on OVOW 7.5 help when i search with "cluster", i got this:

Cluster support in OVO
------------------------
HP OpenView Operations for Windows cluster-awareness support is available for the following platforms and versions:
Windows:
Windows 2000: MS Cluster Service on Advanced Server and Data Center

so, windows 2003 cluster will not work??

any SPI should be installed??
0 Likes
Ram_21 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hello

Yes those binaries are only there in the newer SPIs and agents. DCE agents can manage cluster aware applications (like EXSPI manages Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 cluster with OVOW 7.36 DCE agent) for it also has the APM process in it.

Regards
Ram
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks Ram...one more question,
the apminfo.xml file on node1 will have on the as node1 only or all the nodes in the cluster should be updated on all apminfo.xml files??

dbspi_mssqlserver

node1
SQL Server

node2
SQL Server

0 Likes
Ram_21 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hello

The apminfo file does not have any details of the specific nodes. It just has the names of the resources. This file should be in all the nodes in the cluster and the DCE (or HTTPS agent for process is essentially the same) will use it to figure out the cluster aware resource.

Check the OVOW Online Help topic "Managing cluster-aware applications" for it gives you more details.

Regards
Ram
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
ovclusterinfo
ovappinstance

Hi Ram,
this testing is on OVOw 7x agents and we got a OMW 8x mgmt server. in that server i can find out this exe file. can i copy this exe file from this OMW mgmt server to this ovow 7x node and test it?? will it work??

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.