Highlighted
Kristopher Horn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chronic communication issues between OML 9.1 server and nodes

In my environment I seem to be having SSL communication issues between the server and nodes on a regular basis.  I have a OML 9.10.210 server and windows 2003 server nodes running Operations agent 11.01.003.

The scenarios fall into two categories in my opinion. I have agent installation issues where the server is unable to initiate communication with the client to ping, get agent status, push policies, etc after install of the agent and patch rollup.  The node is able to send messages to the server.  Per HP support directions we tried reissuing certs and re-installing agents and that fixed some of them but not all.  It also doesn't explain the root cause the issue.  I don't like the blanket answer of re-install or re-issue certs for random issues.

The second scenario is nodes work fine one day but after a reboot or restart of the agent there are SSL communication issues that require the agent to be restarted.  This issue is workable but completely annoying.  I shouldn't have to restart a bunch of agents everyday after servers are rebooted for whatever reason.

Anyone one else have similar experiences.  Any recommendations?

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.. Goldie_v Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Chronic communication issues between OML 9.1 server and nodes

Hey Kristopher,

Regarding the server/nodes ssl communication issues: Do all the machines talk to each other bidirectionally (listen to the respective port -aka 383- for instance)?

Have you checked the compatibilities O/S and agent-wise towards OML from HP SUMA file?

Also, is there anywhere a FW rule in between that might cause the problem?  

Are the agents on the managed nodes in the right version as OML's?

Do the managed nodes have DHCP ip addresses or static ones?

When you ADD a node in your nodes bank, does OML resolve correctly the desirable IP address?

Please check all the above and let me know... it smells like network issues.

B/R

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Goldie_v Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Also check if the hostname on /etc/host is entered!!!

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Emmanuel Rollan Absent Member..
Absent Member..

We experience similar issues. We also notice fatal errors while pushing policies/intrumentation, requiring an agent restart. Completely random behavior. We opened a support case. We were told to increase timeout settings up to 10mn and some other tweaks that did not help. We still don't know what's wrong.

Emmanuel.

0 Likes
Kristopher Horn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We resolved our issues by tweaking communication settings.  HP support recommended some settings (10 seconds I believe) to start with but then we tweaked further to get agents in high latency networks to communicate properly.  So far so good.

[bbc.cb]

REQUEST_TIMEOUT

SSL_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT

FYI - I have no idea why, but the request timeout parameter is measured in seconds and the SSL timeout is measured in milliseconds.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.