Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Augusto Vinhaes Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ho to monitor the message queue file (unix environment) ?

Jump to solution
I'd like to monitor the message queue file to avoid message storm. I will write a monitor to stop the agent based on the file size, but I need the folowing information:
- the file name corresponding to the message file (on unix machines).
- the file size above what I will consider I'm having a message storm.
Thanks.
Augusto
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Alex Ulbrich Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Ho to monitor the message queue file (unix environment) ?

Jump to solution
Here's a script I wrote to do the opposite. I wanted to know when my agents weren't sending messages. I'm using opcqchk command to extract item count from the queue instead of file size, which I have found unreliable. One could modify this script to do what you want.

Good Luck

#Let's check for agents queing
for i in `ls /var/opt/OV/tmp/OpC/ | grep "q$"`
do
CNT=`/opt/OV/contrib/OpC/opcqchk -dump /var/opt/OV/tmp/OpC/${i}|grep Item|awk '{print $2}'`
if [[ $CNT -ne 0 ]]; then
echo "opcmsg:opcagtck:agent:OpC:major::$i:agent is queing messages" | mailx -s"OVO email message" opc_op@fs2
else
echo "${i} is good"
fi
done
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Alex Ulbrich Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Here's a script I wrote to do the opposite. I wanted to know when my agents weren't sending messages. I'm using opcqchk command to extract item count from the queue instead of file size, which I have found unreliable. One could modify this script to do what you want.

Good Luck

#Let's check for agents queing
for i in `ls /var/opt/OV/tmp/OpC/ | grep "q$"`
do
CNT=`/opt/OV/contrib/OpC/opcqchk -dump /var/opt/OV/tmp/OpC/${i}|grep Item|awk '{print $2}'`
if [[ $CNT -ne 0 ]]; then
echo "opcmsg:opcagtck:agent:OpC:major::$i:agent is queing messages" | mailx -s"OVO email message" opc_op@fs2
else
echo "${i} is good"
fi
done
Trusted Contributor.. Kathir Lakshman Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi,

There is a white paper from HP on how to detect and handle Message Storms. Take a look at the attached PDF and it may provide lot of useful information you are looking for..

-Kathir
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.