Scott Sund_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ITOs and Solaris

Jump to solution
I'm a Unix sysad and the network folks are placing ITO agents on my servers. They say they need the root password in order to load them and make updates. I say no. Is that true and what is the most current version of the Solaris ITO agent? Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Alex Ulbrich Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: ITOs and Solaris

Jump to solution
a monitoring person would not ever need root. Only those responsible for inital agent installs and command line template distribution or other such activities require root. Again, no monitoring functions require root. It sounds like your boys are fishing for an excuse to have root access. I can't think of any reason they should based on the information you have provided.

A
10 Replies
Martin Johnson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
You need root or pseudo root account (UID=0)to install/deinstall the ITO agent.

HTH
Marty
0 Likes
tirawy Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution
most current version of the supported Solaris is 9 for the ITO 7.0 agent; but still at 8 for the 6 agent.
they do need root password for initial install if the install is needed throught a GUI but if you insist on not giving them root then you have to install it your self by having them ftp the files over to your machine then you would need to untar it then issue the command
/usr/sbin/pkgadd -d /tmp -a /tmp/OPC/install admin OPC
once that is done you would need to issue another command which is
/opt/OV/bin/OpC/install/opcactivate -s mgmt_srvr -cs iso88591 -cn iso88591

and you would be set.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Okay, so they need UID 0 to install, that's fine, I can set them up an account to do that then disable their shell afterwards but what I really need to know is will they continue to need root access (UID 0) to "update their templates"?

Regards,
Scott
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Whenever you install the software (whether a new install or update), you need UID=0. So when you grade from A.06.08 to A06.10 or to A07.x you need root or pseudo root access.

HTH
Marty
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I understand the rationale of needing root access during the initial loading of the package and any s/w upgrades. What my network people are telling me is that they need the root password indefinitely to "change the template settings on the agent". I don't think they do. I don't think the agent challenges them for the root password when they go to make changes to the template. Correct or incorrect? How does the process work for making updates to the template via the A07.0 ITO agent? Am I completely off base here? What port/protocol does HP OVO use to communicate with the agent? Is there some public site I can go to to get information on how OVO works? Thanks again.

Scott
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Once the agent is installed, root is not required to install templates, monitors, or the like if they use the opc_adm account through the GUI. Command line administration does usually require root.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Okay, thanks Alex, I'm almost there. So if they use the opc_adm account from the OVO GUI, they don't need root to update their template. When you say "command line admin", what types of activities would a "monitoring person" need to do to require root access? I apologize for my ignorance of this s/w.

Regards,
Scott

>Alex wrote:
>Once the agent is installed, root is not >required to install templates, monitors, or >the like if they use the opc_adm account >through the GUI. Command line administration >does usually require root.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
a monitoring person would not ever need root. Only those responsible for inital agent installs and command line template distribution or other such activities require root. Again, no monitoring functions require root. It sounds like your boys are fishing for an excuse to have root access. I can't think of any reason they should based on the information you have provided.

A
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The ITO docuementation can be found at:

http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

It will show you how agents, templates, monitors and schedules are installed.

When you pick the install/agent or deinstall/agent a window is opened and you are prompted for the root password. If you choose templates, monitors, etc, no window is displayed.

You use a psuedo root account instead, right click on the node icon and choose modify. In the window that pops up, in the lower right hand corner it will say "As User: root" change root to the pseudo root account.

HTH
Marty
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you very much everyone, you've been a great help.

Very Respectfully,

Scott Sund
C4I Task Lead
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.