Highlighted
Absent Member.. GTrejos7 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Issue with templates not reloading into memory

I have a case where customer is seeing an issue recently where templates don’t always reload on the server after distribution of a condition update.  They can see that it updates the template file on the server, but the agent doesn’t always reread the template, thus continues to use the old matching conditions in the template.  If they create a new condition, the entire template gets reread correctly.  It seems to require them to do an agent restart to force it to reread the template if they are simply doing an update.  This does not work for them. They are doing a   -distrib –force when they distribute templates.

Customer cannot just restart all of their 20,000 agents every Tuesday after they distribute templates.  They need to know that after distribution the templates are going to take effect.

The customer has seen this in the Windows and Linux environment and has recently upgraded to OA 11.14.004 . (Hence all the OM activity)

This behavior has been seen relating to multiple OA processes, opcle, opctrapi …..

I am told by the customer that this is a high issue as the behavior keeps being seen by application areas that were expecting specific conditions to be caught.

Is there a setting in OA to reload the policies when new ones are received by the agent?.

I have gone through all of the customers steps after a full condition has been removed and the process has worked properly. I am told when a character change is made to a condition is where the update does not take effect. I am wondering if after an upload, when a distribution is done is the policy in the database compared to the cached file based on file size or on data/time stamp.

If the comparison is based on file size, I could see that just making a one character change could make the new edited policy the same file size as the size prior to the edit.

I would like clarification on the mechanics of what is being done for that comparison.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.
0 Likes
1 Reply
Honored Contributor.. NioByte Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Issue with templates not reloading into memory

I have experienced these issues previously.

Perform ovpolicy -level 4

Compare the checksum with what is found on the management server with the policies.

I have found that intermittently re-deploying will update the policies.

Other times, I have found performing ovpolicy -remove -all then re-deploy will fix this issue.

Multiple factors are checked in order to intiate a policy deployment.

Each of the factors as found when running ovpolicy -level 4 are taken into account. Especially checksum and policy contents.

ovpolicy can be used with the -host switch on the management server in order to read policies remotely.

e.g.

ovpolicy -level 4 -host <remote_host>

Make sure you always use the 'Force' option as well on policy deployment. As this will usually re-initialise (removes and re-adds each one) on deployment. As mentioned above though this is 'supposed' to do the same as 'ovpolicy -remove -all', at times though I have found this to be inconsistent.

The only workaround I have that seems to work consistently is use 'ovpolicy -remove -all'.

If the configuration in question is in a HA, server pooling, etc setup. Other factors are involved based on the origin of which management server first deployed the policies. As that can also cause some inconsistent results.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.