James Mohr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Opinions Wanted: VPO administration

Jump to solution
Hi All!

I am curious about how other companies organize their VPO administration. In particular I am curious about how many people are used to administer how many machines. Is the administrator a full time reponsibility in that the VPO admin does little or nothing else? Are the responsibilities within VPO split among multiple admins? If so how? How are problem that arise in VPO handled?

Any comments are greatly appreaciated.

Regards,

jimmo

www.linux-tutorial.info
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Victor Makarov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Opinions Wanted: VPO administration

Jump to solution
Hi

Our company provides service to others. I responsible for 5 sites where VPo is installed. Only one site has dedicated VPO admin. He is cinpletely responsible for VPO and has no other duties.
On other 4 sites also there is one engineer who look after VPO but they are not VPO engineers. They are UNIX admins, net admins.
They do only simple VPO admin tasks - like add/edit user, edit template, add new nodes.
Any problem are forwarded to me.

Best regards
Victor
Do it right or do it again
8 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi

Our company provides service to others. I responsible for 5 sites where VPo is installed. Only one site has dedicated VPO admin. He is cinpletely responsible for VPO and has no other duties.
On other 4 sites also there is one engineer who look after VPO but they are not VPO engineers. They are UNIX admins, net admins.
They do only simple VPO admin tasks - like add/edit user, edit template, add new nodes.
Any problem are forwarded to me.

Best regards
Victor
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Viktor!

At the site where they have a dedicated VPO admin how many nodes do they have? Are they also running Node Manager? Is that admin also responsible for Node Manager?

Regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Jimmo

They have about 150 managed nodes. (HPUX/Solaris/Win)
The people I am working with do not use NNM strongly. Just for to be notifyed if nodes Down.
Another departament uses NNM for network monitoring but unfortunately I do not work with them :((. The use NNM installed not on VPO host, so I don't have any details.

Victor
Richard Caputo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hey Jimmo

In my situation, we have about 80 managed nodes(70 Windows/10Unix) running off a OVOW 7.1 Server. We also use NNM for Network Up/Down Monitoring. I am the administrator of NNM and OVO and handle all Openview administration on both servers. I also implement the policies that go on the managed nodes. I often get help from the sys admins to determine what to monitor, and from our inhouse developers to help with scripts used in the policies.

It is definitely a full time ++ job that requires alot of background experience (sys administration, scripting, specific app monitoring, etc,etc, ....)

Hope this helps
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Alex Ulbrich Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi Jimmo,

We have 1 dedicated OVOU admin, 1 dedicated OVOU/W engineer/architect, and a part-time OVOW admin. We have 300+ managed nodes, 4 Operations servers, and pretty much all the OV software that is available for a Solaris/Windows shop. We also have DBA and programmer resources available as required.

Alex
Honored Contributor.. Alex Ulbrich Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi Jimmo,

We have 1 dedicated OVOU admin, 1 dedicated OVOU/W engineer/architect, and a part-time OVOW admin. We have 300+ managed nodes, 4 Operations servers, and pretty much all the OV software that is available for a Solaris/Windows shop. We also have DBA and programmer resources available as required.

Alex
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks to all of you for replying. Richard's configuration seems to pretty close to what we have. We also have about 80 nodes, but we still have VPO/OVOU 6.14. We have yet to implement NNM to any useful extent. In addition, we are also running MeasureWare, OV Service Desk, Internet Services, as well as the Service Navigator (plus the intergration btwn them and VPO). I am the VPO administrator (including **all** of the other products) and handle all VPO and UNIX administration on the server. In addition I also write many of the monitoring scripts. A couple of the other admins create templates, but I am responsible for checking them to ensure that they are correct. Then there is my "real" work of reacting to the incidents created by our monitors, standard sysadmin tasks on the 80 nodes, etc. Did I mention that I am also the coordinator for our customer hotline, which means I manage communication with customers, as well as review completed calls and incidents? I also develop the Active Server Page integration with the Service Desk for our customer portal.

It's not that I am complaining (well, maybe a little). It's that I am getting frustrated because I cannot do as good a job with any of these tasks that I would like. So, it is definately helpful to me personally knowing that doing just part of this is a full time task for other people.

Thanks again to everyone!

Regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Gino Castoldi_2 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi Jimmo,

At our site we have two full time OVO Admins dedicated
to Event Monitoring/OVO.
(It's been this way for about three years).

Our site uses OVO (ITO5.3)
and we currently manage
about 600 nodes). We also perform all of our own
admin work too. We will be doing an ITO->VPO upgrade ourselves, then VPO->OVO7.x.
We also install patches, etc, update all templates, create scripts, etc. too. We handle numerous requests per week
(new installs, mods).
We have a two node cluster (MC/SG). We do not use NNM
as a standalone App (We use NetCool for that).

We have MWA and Reporter too.
We plan on getting OVIS so our
workload and responsibilities are going to increase.

At our site we are always busy
with requests and maintenance.
(We are also planning on a Global roll-out of OVO, more sites to support, etc...).

HTH, Gino

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.