Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Absent Member.. vidarfjosne Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Policy for Service

Jump to solution

Hi Experts.

Im obviosly a rookie on this. I have an issue that doesnt look any difficult, but I can't figure out.

Using: HP Operations Manager Build: A.17.0.120.29 Version: A.09.00

The case is for Windows server:

If one specific service is present, let's say service 'A', then an other specific service must also be present, lets say service 'B', if not a ticket/alarm should be made. Meaning service 'A' is a prerequisite.

Example:

ServerA has service 'A' and also service 'B' : No alarm
ServerB has service 'A' but not service 'B': ALARM
ServerC has not service 'A' ..stop evaluate: No alarm

I've tried some varieties but it's not any help showing it. Suggestion on policy type, codes and so on is appreciated. Maybe you have already made a policy for this issue? Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member..

Re: Policy for Service

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Please dont look at the chosen policy type (WMI) but what the policy should do as I am telling that it cant solve it.

The aim is to alert when server has MSSQLSERVER service but NOT TSM Client Acceptor SQL service.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi.

I thought this was an easy one.

I have tried mostly with WMI policy, but there is no possibility to add dependencies. Its all about ONE service. I was hoping the Global WQL-filter (

Global WQL-filter: Name = "MSSQLSERVER"

)

could solve it as an prerequisite but it turned out the rules was about that so I couldnt add:
Rules:
IF Condition (Name != TSM Client Acceptor SQL [Value])
of this rule is true THEN:
Do Actions:
Send Message to Active Msg. Browser (Message Group: Service; Severity: Major; Message Text: Server has service 'MSSQLSERVER' but not service 'TSM Client Acceptor SQL'.

Server info:
<$MGMTSV_KNOWN_MSG_NODE_NAME>, <$MSG_NODE>)
Stop evaluation
ELSE evaluate next rule

Im looking in to VB Script now using Measurement Threshold policytype.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Ram_21 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello
Service Monitoring policies are designed to look for specific service and alert based on the state of the service. If a service has a dependency then the service will obviously not start if the dependencies are not running. So not sure what exactly is your requirement. Please clarify exactly what you are asking and hopefully you can get suggestions.

Check the OM documentation on Service Monitoring policies as it gives you use case examples and hopefully you can see what logic is avaialble with this policy type and use it for your needs.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Ram

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

Please dont look at the chosen policy type (WMI) but what the policy should do as I am telling that it cant solve it.

The aim is to alert when server has MSSQLSERVER service but NOT TSM Client Acceptor SQL service.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.