Highlighted
Absent Member.. GTrejos7 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

[ST OMU] opcmsgm random crashes with exit value 139

PROBLEM:

In Operations Manager for Unix/Linux (OMU/OML) opcmsgm process crashes randomly.
The system.txt file shows the following errors:

/var/opt/OV/log/System.txt.002:0: ERR: Thu Apr 3 12:02:00 2014: ovcd (13468/1101101376): (ctrl-209) Component 'opcmsgm' exited with '139', automatic restart limit exceeded. Use 'ovc -start opcmsgm'.
/var/opt/OV/log/System.txt.004:0: WRN: wed Apr 2 03:09:12 2014: ovcd (13468/1101101376): (ctrl-208) Component 'opcmsgm' with pid 11632 exited with exit value '139'. Restarting component.

CAUSE:

The abort is caused because customer uses a non UTF-8 $LANG.
The problem is, if LANG is not set (defaults to C) or set to a non-UTF8 value.

SOLUTION:

The easiest way to make sure the OM server processes run with an UTF-8 $LANG is to set it via LANG in ctrl.env:
# ovc -kill
# ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env LANG en_US.utf8  
# ovc -start

Or you can set the environment variables prior to the startup of the OM server processes with:

For American English, the following variable can be used:
export LANG=en_US.utf8
or
export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

For other languages, make sure that you choose a locale that
uses the UTF-8 character set, for example:
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
sl_SI.utf8

On Linux, you can use either one of the following, they are equivalent:
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.utf8

Valid values for LANG depend on the OS. On HP-UX, LANG=en_US.UTF-8 is not valid, only LANG=en_US.utf8.

The problem is, if LANG is not set (defaults to C) or set to a non-UTF8 value.

The LANG value differs on OS:
on Solaris : # locale -a
grep -i utf
grep en_US
en_US.UTF-8

On HP-UX : $ locale -a
grep -i utf
grep en_US
en_US.utf8

On Linux : # locale -a
grep -i utf
grep en_US
en_US.utf8

For Linux the default is  utf8 but UTF-8 is also supported

opcmsgm should not crash after this setting.

This is documented in the following KCS article:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00879233

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.