Highlighted
New Member.

Troubleshooting documents on HP OM (OMU and OMW)

Hello Folks,

Did anyone perpared any troubleshooting documets for HP OM (OMWor OMU) which can help others if they face same kind of errors which you face and prepared documents?

Thanks in advance.

---Rajesh
10 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Troubleshooting documents on HP OM (OMU and OMW)

You can select "Knowledge documents" & "Known problems" in the selfsolve http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/documents and search.

The good part is that you can search based on the version of OMW & OMU that you are using.

Highlighted
New Member.

Thanks for the reply RRK, 

Yea i know we can go with  http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/documents , but what i was looking is we generally make some documents on errors which we faced, by which we can make use of it whenever we face same kinda issues, so is there any docs on issues which you faced accross?

---Rajesh
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

The best place to search in the selfsolve. Many admins will have their own document but in their own format.

I feel sharing will not be possible.

I strongly suggest to start documenting from the forum & your own experience.

To start with you can use this. 

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/openvms_ovo_agent/troubleshooting_ops_manager.pdf

Highlighted
New Member.

thanks RRK 🙂

---Rajesh
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

I would recommend using the "New search features" in the Advanced search section. It should help find any information that you are looking for.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/HPIT_SSO_Facet_Demo.html?serviceLevel=U2FsdGVkX1+CCxt8jjrfxYA0dDtCEP4Sh1PCpr/vVH8=&PrductID=U2FsdGVkX1/prXfW16EArIX1CBIBRz4OEagCjcx0Dok=&key=KWY0D3E2IW

I do agree that HP OM does not have a good collection of troubleshooting documents. They had one about 10 years ago for OMW and they have not updated it since and it contained some excellent information. It is a good doc but it is out-dated.

Gino

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Having troubleshooting document will help in most of the cases.

It will be good idea to create your own troubleshooting document  and share with other.I am sure most of us facing the same issue(if not now then sometime later) while working:)

Regards,
hp4u
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

The best way to get this kind of information would be for HP to create documentation around this as they have lots of internal information that they do not share with customers and they also have their own KB (knowledge-base) which contains information that we also do not have access to.

That alone should provide most of the information that we (customers who use their products) would want.

Why should we create troubleshooting docs when HP already has this information?

Don't we the customers already pay for this type of information/help? It should be provided for us.

I once submitted an ER to update the OM Windows Troubleshooting guide and they rejected the request which I thought was a mistake. The more information you give end-users/customers the better it is for them to manage the product.

HP should be doing this not the customers as they have information that we can never get - hotfixes, patches, internal KB, All kinds of issues and how they were resolved for different customers and sites, etc...

Thank you

Gino

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Gino - I completely agree with you. i think you are refering the document which was published for OVOW 7.x.

Even if customer want to try to preapre their own document may i ask HP to first release the product which is stable. if you keep releasing a new agent version every quarter claiming that N number of bugs were fixed but at the same time N+ number of bugs is introduced, it is really not possibe.

Troubleshooting can be done when there is a issue but not when product has bug.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

I also concur with all of the comments in this thread.

Thanks for the linking of that old HP Operations Agent for VMS troubleshooting guide. This is the only manual I have seen that explains each component of the agent succinctly. Without having to reference a different guide for each.

Definitely a proper 'detailed' up-to-date troubleshooting guide is needed for both the HP Operations Agent and Management Server.

As unfortunately all of the documents are 'high level' and do not go into specific details. I had to spend a lot of personal hours learning this product.

As the guides proved to be fragmented and incomplete. I can agree that the manuals over time have improved. Although, still quite far from being a complete guide on how to administer and manage the product end-to-end.

A very old prentice-hall HP OpenView System Administration Handbook was also helpful in understanding some of the features of this product and basic troubleshooting with concepts, etc. This guide is now very out-of-date at least it is the most complete in referencing one book.

Highlighted
New Member.

I Totally Agree with Gino and KAKA.

I also see that in support site,  there are few documents are updated in 2008, 2009 and old versions, if HP Support updates those documents that will be great helpful to all HP OM Engineers 🙂

And thank you all for your response.

---Rajesh
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.