tabney Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Improvements you'd like to see in Novell's Knowledgebase

We're excited with the success you have searching our Knowledgebase. We put tremendous focus into it to help you find answers to your questions.

There might also be improvements you'd like to see with the Knowledgebase and the ways you search novell.com/support for technical info for your questions/issues. This Thread is meant to capture your ideas on these things we should consider improving.

Kind Regards,

-Todd
Todd Abney
Technical Support Director
Novell
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Improvements you'd like to see in Novell's Knowledgebase

Providing better access to information...

The current Knowledgebase does a pretty good job of consolidating technical documents but what I would really like to see is a single location where I can access a wide range of Novell documents and very quickly zero in on the relevant ones.

There are still too many places to search when problem solving or trying to remember where I may have previously encountered a particular document. If I need a specific TID and have the number, it's easy to find it (most of the time). If my interest is a bit more general, I may have a large number of documents to sift through. For some things I may even have to visit a different site.

The knowledgebase, in a broader sense, can be taken to mean any information pertaining to Novell, its products & services, its partners, press releases, licensing, training, events, technical documents, forum posts, NUI, Brainshare, patches, downloads, etc. I think it should be wide-ranging in scope - almost like a general purpose search engine. The trick would be to provide a rich set of selection criteria to limit the results.

In addition to the standard keyword search, date range (created/changed), Author, etc. a broad selection of categories would allow the search to be refined to the point where a relatively few meaningful results are returned. Some examples might be:

Product Group / product / release
File Format: HTML, PDF, PowerPoint, video, audio, iso, executable, ...
Target audience: Sr. Mgmt., Middle Mgmt., Admin, General, ...
Document Type: TID, CoolSolution, product read-me's, Connections article, white paper, forum post, product announcement, presentation
Subject matter: technical, marketing, sales, training, events, partners, security, patches,

I would expect this list to be enhanced and refined over time to make it more useful.

Of course, we often don't know exactly what we're looking for so I'd like see a breakdown of the results (i.e. number of documents satisfying the various criteria) and the ability to include/exclude certain criteria to refine my selection.

Once my search criteria has been refined to the point where it provides the desired results, I would like to be able to save it. I find often myself searching for the same things over and over again.

Once the search has been saved, it would be very convenient if I could be notified by email whenever any new items appeared that satisfied my search criteria. For example:
- What new TID's or Patches are available for these products?
- What training or other events will be coming to my city during the next 30 days?
- Have any of these documents been updated since I last checked?

I'm sure, given a little time, I could come up with more...:) I hope this helps!

Kevin
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.