grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NNTP access?

I had been subscribed to this forum via NNTP but now it's gone from there. Refreshing the list of forums doesn't bring it back so I'm guessing it's no longer hosted via NNTP? Can I ask why if that's the case?
0 Likes
6 Replies
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: NNTP access?

Because there has been a high number of misposts in this forum from people just seeking technical support on issues, which isn't the purpose of this forum (but was somewhat exptected). These messages have been moved out of this forum to their appropriate forum. The problem with this is that NNTP doesn't support message moving and we have *so many* helpful people around here that people were replying to these posts from NNTP telling these folks they posted in the wrong forum. Well their NNTP client didn't know the messages had been moved so it created orphan posts and broken threads creating even more of a problem.

Since HHTP now is the primary interface for the Novell forums and the vast majority of users use the web interface, and since the valid posts here were mostly coming from the web interface, it was decided to just remove this forum from NNTP to avoid further problems.

FWIW
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The vast majority of power users or just users? I can in about 2 min or less with the NTP forums scan through about 52 forums using a news reader and skim the topics of new threads as well as see which threads of mine have replies because I've marked them. I can't imagine doing that in the web interface in anything close to that amount of time... Just an observation. Please don't remove NNTP support from the technical forums. (Not saying you're going to, just voicing my opinion.)
0 Likes
grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Preemptively correcting that to NNTP before one of our comedic users asks how I read the forums using network time protocol 😄
0 Likes
Community Manager

No worries. There are no plans to remove NNTP from the technical forums. This is a special case forum that had a high number of misposts and a high number of "helpful" nntp users that created the special problem here.
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
grimlock1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

See, this is my point exactly. It took me like 2 weeks to remember to come back here and read the reply 😄 😄 😄
0 Likes
Community Manager

It took me like 2 weeks to remember to come back here and read the reply

That's what sticky notes on your screen are for. 🙂
--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.