fmigge Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell SLES10 Support - Level Basic

We are new Novell customers with a small installation base of 5 SLES10 servers. We are hoping to add SLES10 to our or OS inventory as a new, flexible platform, SLES is competing with RedHat and AIX. Our first deployments are small-scale, independent infrastructure servers so we are getting experienced on SLES and are able to prepare our operational procedures (patching, hardening, monitoring, application deployment etc).

Our first servers have been purchased as a "BASIC" subscription to keep the initial investment cost low until we deploy to the mission-critical systems. We figured we can handle small issues on our own and did so for a few month's.

Now came the first need to contact Novell tech support for a recent issue with ZMD, Novells Zenworks daemon. Here is were the trouble starts. I tried to log a online service request to Novell through my Novell account, but the service request form tells me "There are no valid support entitlements associated with this account."

Reading carefully through the service description for "Basic" it says:
Fixes: 30 days of web based installation and basic configuration support and 12 x5 support with 2 business day response time

Question: is my interpretation correct that "Basic" provides only 30 days of service at all? There is no access to any support after 30 days?

We don't mean to bother Novell for any OpenSource included in SLES10, but what about Novells own products such as Novell ZenWorks? Is it covered by any other support forum?

I do not expect a immediate response or fix from Novell, but I would like to log our bug report somewhere to Novell engineers. Is there a SLES or Novell bug database we can view or enter into?

Clarification about the offered support levels and access to Novell support would be very appreciated. We are not yet a point were we would like to discuss the MLA/VLA agreement options. We would like to get just some basic e-mail support for a handful servers.

Best Regards,
Frank Migge
0 Likes
6 Replies
tabney Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Novell SLES10 Support - Level Basic

Hi Frank,

Yes, the OpenSuse support is for 30 days. Beyond that would be a Maintenance based support program or through one of our Partners.

Our free support is via our Forums and our Knowledge base.

You have a couple of options if you have a Defect. You can enter it directly into Bugzilla from the link on the OpenSuse website, or you can call into our Support number, 1-800-858-4000, and enter a Defect Service Request. That SR will be sent to our Backline team and they will verify the Defect. There is no direct contact with you on the SR unless they need some more details from you on the Defect, so it's just a quick way to enter a Defect, not a way for getting help to work around it.

Here's the site with more details on our Support Programs. Novell Support Options

Let me know if that helps answering your questions,

Todd
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 18/02/2009 18:46, tabney wrote:

> Yes, the OpenSuse support is for 30 days. Beyond that would be a
> Maintenance based support program or through one of our Partners.

Frank wasn't asking about openSUSE but SLES10.
--
Simon

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies within an academic environment?
Your campus may benefit from joining the Novell Technology Transfer
Partners (TTP) organisation. See www.novell.com/ttp for more info.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

For SLES we have Standard and Priority support, these are not limmited to
install only

http://support.novell.com/linux/sle_support.html

Not sure what the support option is that you've got, is it teh Standard
option?

Ron

"fmigge" <fmigge@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:fmigge.3noixz@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> We are new Novell customers with a small installation base of 5 SLES10
> servers. We are hoping to add SLES10 to our or OS inventory as a new,
> flexible platform, SLES is competing with RedHat and AIX. Our first
> deployments are small-scale, independent infrastructure servers so we
> are getting experienced on SLES and are able to prepare our operational
> procedures (patching, hardening, monitoring, application deployment
> etc).
>
> Our first servers have been purchased as a "BASIC" subscription to keep
> the initial investment cost low until we deploy to the mission-critical
> systems. We figured we can handle small issues on our own and did so for
> a few month's.
>
> Now came the first need to contact Novell tech support for a recent
> issue with ZMD, Novells Zenworks daemon. Here is were the trouble
> starts. I tried to log a online service request to Novell through my
> Novell account, but the service request form tells me "There are no
> valid support entitlements associated with this account."
>
> Reading carefully through the service description for "Basic" it says:
> Fixes: 30 days of web based installation and basic configuration
> support and 12 x5 support with 2 business day response time
>
> Question: is my interpretation correct that "Basic" provides only 30
> days of service at all? There is no access to any support after 30
> days?
>
> We don't mean to bother Novell for any OpenSource included in SLES10,
> but what about Novells own products such as Novell ZenWorks? Is it
> covered by any other support forum?
>
> I do not expect a immediate response or fix from Novell, but I would
> like to log our bug report somewhere to Novell engineers. Is there a
> SLES or Novell bug database we can view or enter into?
>
> Clarification about the offered support levels and access to Novell
> support would be very appreciated. We are not yet a point were we would
> like to discuss the MLA/VLA agreement options. We would like to get just
> some basic e-mail support for a handful servers.
>
> Best Regards,
> Frank Migge
>
>
> --
> fmigge
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> fmigge's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36127
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=360689
>

0 Likes
fmigge Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From the 3 support options "Basic", Standard" and "Priority", we currently have "Basic". We will upgrade upgrade to "Standard" to get support.

The question that remains is:

A) Is there any way for users with support level "Basic" to log, report and receive updates for SLES10 related bugs with Novell Support? (No SLA's of course, just a "best effort")

B) Is there a support forum or bug database for Novell-specific products such as ZenWorks, accessible for us endusers?

By having support level "Basic", it entitles only to getting the Novell update service. If the Novell update service delivers a patch that is potentially problematic (as we suspect happened in our case), "Basic" support level means *no* support (after 30 days). This seems to apply even to software that is Novell-owned, such as ZenWorks.

With that established, the support level "Basic" is a dangerous and quite useless support level, only fit for a shorttime evaluation. If a Novell update screws up the system after 30 days, the customer is helpless.

I would love to hear that I am wrong... 🙂
Cheers Frank
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Is there a support forum

There is and anyone can participate: ZENworks - NOVELL FORUMS (and other forums for other products)
or bug database for Novell-specific products

http://bugzilla.novell.com and anyone can paruse the information there.

As Todd said, there is always free support via the product specific support forums here and our Knowledgebase.
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
fmigge Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Questions fully answered. Thank you and Todd for following up, it is very appreciated.

Best Greetings,
Frank
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.