Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OES \ eDir \ IDM Confusion

There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the current eDir \ OES \ IDM versions and what is and isn't supported. (at least I'm confused) I had a SR open last week (or maybe the week before) and asked the question and the answer from the eDirectory team was that IDM 3.6 was not supported on any version of OES.

This fork of eDir to 8.8.4 has created an incredible mess. There also doesn't seem to be a clear TID explaining what the options are. There is a thread in the IDM engine forum now where Aaron (AB) has attempted to clarify what is and isn't supported and perhaps it's only the 64 bit versions?

Anyway, I've had to flip flop with a customer twice already about how to handle this and we are going to not use OES again for this use, but when you start getting questions like, "If I was an AD shop would I be having these issues" it really makes you feel awkward. A clearly defined message at a minimum needs to be posted so everyone is on the same page.

</rant>
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Mario Garzia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OES \ eDir \ IDM Confusion

I second that. The lack of clarity is making me want to leave this product behind, and move on to Microsoft's solution. Microsoft's take on IDM is a lot more heavy weight, but I was able to get a test system up and running in 2 days (synching Edir to AD).

I spent weeks thumbing through ambiguity with IDM and I still don't have a working test system. It seems like a great product, but it's tough to tell if I can't get it working.

Will Schneider;1737204 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the current eDir \ OES \ IDM versions and what is and isn't supported. (at least I'm confused) I had a SR open last week (or maybe the week before) and asked the question and the answer from the eDirectory team was that IDM 3.6 was not supported on any version of OES.

This fork of eDir to 8.8.4 has created an incredible mess. There also doesn't seem to be a clear TID explaining what the options are. There is a thread in the IDM engine forum now where Aaron (AB) has attempted to clarify what is and isn't supported and perhaps it's only the 64 bit versions?

Anyway, I've had to flip flop with a customer twice already about how to handle this and we are going to not use OES again for this use, but when you start getting questions like, "If I was an AD shop would I be having these issues" it really makes you feel awkward. A clearly defined message at a minimum needs to be posted so everyone is on the same page.

</rant>
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Will,

As far as I can tell you, only eDir 64-bit version is not supported. If
you are running 32-bit eDir, IDM should work fine - and AFAIK it is
supported.

Now, the problem is that with OES2 FCS, we installed 32 bit eDir on
64-bit OES as well. With OES2 SP1, 64-bit eDir is installed on the
64-bit OS - therefore you cannot use IDM.

Also, supported is relative...it will simply not work. You are trying to
use 32-bit libraries (IDM) on a 64-bit application (eDir) - and this
will fail.

So, as long as eDir is 32-bit, IDM should work and should be supported
as well.

64-bit IDM is being worked on and should be coming later this year - so
this issue clears up as well.

Hope this helps,Cheers

Akos
Will Schneider wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the current eDir \ OES \ IDM versions and what is and isn't supported. (at least I'm confused) I had a SR open last week (or maybe the week before) and asked the question and the answer from the eDirectory team was that IDM 3.6 was not supported on any version of OES.
>
> This fork of eDir to 8.8.4 has created an incredible mess. There also doesn't seem to be a clear TID explaining what the options are. There is a thread in the IDM engine forum now where Aaron (AB) has attempted to clarify what is and isn't supported and perhaps it's only the 64 bit versions?
>
> Anyway, I've had to flip flop with a customer twice already about how to handle this and we are going to not use OES again for this use, but when you start getting questions like, "If I was an AD shop would I be having these issues" it really makes you feel awkward. A clearly defined message at a minimum needs to be posted so everyone is on the same page.
>
> </rant>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

The product itself might be complex or not - this depends on the
experience with the given product, products. The AD driver itself is not
a very complicated one, I believe. However, with 3.6 there were some
major issues with the pre-config which was shipped, so I strongly
suggest you give it a try with the new preconfig which was posted on
download.novell.com:
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=KpfmnhRNiGY~

Should you have any specific issues, I suggest you to post n the IDM
forums - so it can be addressed there.

Cheers, Akos

mgarzia wrote:
> I second that. The lack of clarity is making me want to leave this
> product behind, and move on to Microsoft's solution. Microsoft's take on
> IDM is a lot more heavy weight, but I was able to get a test system up
> and running in 2 days (synching Edir to AD).
>
> I spent weeks thumbing through ambiguity with IDM and I still don't
> have a working test system. It seems like a great product, but it's
> tough to tell if I can't get it working.
>
> Will Schneider;1737204 Wrote:
>> There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the current eDir \ OES
>> \ IDM versions and what is and isn't supported. (at least I'm confused)
>> I had a SR open last week (or maybe the week before) and asked the
>> question and the answer from the eDirectory team was that IDM 3.6 was
>> not supported on any version of OES.
>>
>> This fork of eDir to 8.8.4 has created an incredible mess. There also
>> doesn't seem to be a clear TID explaining what the options are. There
>> is a thread in the IDM engine forum now where Aaron (AB) has attempted
>> to clarify what is and isn't supported and perhaps it's only the 64 bit
>> versions?
>>
>> Anyway, I've had to flip flop with a customer twice already about how
>> to handle this and we are going to not use OES again for this use, but
>> when you start getting questions like, "If I was an AD shop would I be
>> having these issues" it really makes you feel awkward. A clearly
>> defined message at a minimum needs to be posted so everyone is on the
>> same page.
>>
>> </rant>

>
>

0 Likes
Mario Garzia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have to recind this comment. It's because IDM can do so much that things are vague. Once I got the product up and running (I had to create the NDS-to-NDS certificates mannually, their gui version did not work) it's been great.

mgarzia;1737374 wrote:
I second that. The lack of clarity is making me want to leave this product behind, and move on to Microsoft's solution. Microsoft's take on IDM is a lot more heavy weight, but I was able to get a test system up and running in 2 days (synching Edir to AD).

I spent weeks thumbing through ambiguity with IDM and I still don't have a working test system. It seems like a great product, but it's tough to tell if I can't get it working.
0 Likes
ekdavis Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Will Schneider;1737204 wrote:

</rant>

Will,

Sorry this took a while to reply, but I was able to get this from one of the back line engineers and is in line with Akos's answer (who is also a back line engineer).

The answer revolves around these key elements:
1. There is no current shipping 64 bit version of IDM.
2. IDM lives inside our address space therefore 32 bit IDM cannot work when 64 bit eDir is installed.
3. If you install OES2 SP1 on a 64 bit platform it will only install 64 eDir.

Therefore the problem only comes into play when you have 64 bit OES 2 SP1 installed. When IDM 3.6.1 64 bit ships with 885 this will no longer be an issue.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.