Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

<(UFT) Support Tip> UFT 12.50 has a new License Server: HP AutoPass - Frequently Asked Questions

Hi there!

As you may already know, UFT 12.50 uses a new licensing mechanism: HP AutoPass

Here is a compilation of the most common questions we've seen so far:

Can I use UFT versions 12.02 and below with the new Autopass License Server?
No. Only UFT 12.50 and later will work with new Autopass License Server. Prior versions will continue to use Sentinel based license server. HP recommends migrating to both UFT 12.50 and Autopass License Server, to gain new improved concurrent license mechanism.

Can both Sentinel License Server and Autopass License Server coexist?
No. Please review full information and options on Document KM01750120 - Can both Sentinel License server and HP Autopass License Server coexist?

Can I use my old generated concurrent licenses (from versions of QTP/ST and UFT prior to 12.50) with the new Autopass License Server?
No. UFT 12.50 has changed the entire seat/concurrent license mechanism, so did change the server to use the HP Autopass License Server. Prior versions of UFT used the Sentinel Concurrent License Server.
Note: The Autopass License Server and accompanying documentation is provided with the UFT Setup program. In order to install your licenses on the Autopass License Server, you need to upgrade your licenses. For more information, see Document ID KM01765816 - How to upgrade Sentinel Licenses to HP Autopass Licenses?.

Can I use my old generated seat licenses (from versions of QTP/ST and UFT prior to 12.50) with the UFT 12.50?
No. Since UFT 12.50 has changed the entire license mechanism (from Sentinel license mechanism to HP Autopass license mechanism),  you need to upgrade your licenses. For more information, see Document ID KM01765816 - How to upgrade Sentinel Licenses to HP Autopass Licenses?

Does the new Autopass license mechanism support old license features (QuickTest, FTUnified, etc) or just UnifiedFunctionalTesting license feature?

Both. However since UFT 12.50 has changed the entire license mechanism (from Sentinel license mechanism to HP Autopass license mechanism),  you need to upgrade your licenses. For details, see:

Since I need a new license (or upgrade it), how to do I get this new license?
For more information, see Document ID KM01765816 - How to upgrade Sentinel Licenses to HP Autopass Licenses?

When I open the License Wizard, how do I know which type of license to select?

In UFT, you can install a number of different license types:

• Seat: A machine-specific license that is used only by the computer on which the license is installed
    • Concurrent: A multi-user license that is taken from a central License Server and returned after the user's session is complete
    • Commuter: A machine-specific license that is checked out from a central License Server for a defined period of time. This license is either checked in to the License Server or expires.
    • Remote Commuter: A machine-specific license that is checked out for one user by another user who has an active connection to the License Server.

In order to know which type of license you need, answer the following questions:

• Are you assigned a specific license (with its own unique license key)? If so, then you need seat
  • Are you part of a group that uses licenses on an as-needed basis? If so, then you need concurrent
    Note: You will need the IP address of your License Server where the licenses are installed.
  • Are you assigned the IP address from which to check out a license? If so, then you need concurrent
  • Are you working with a virtual environment? If so, then you need concurrent
  • Are you travelling and will not have access to a license server? If so, then you need commuter
  • Are you already travelling and cannot access the License Server to get a license? If so, then you need remote commuter

Can I install the License Server with silent installation?
Yes. The UFT installation uses the LICSVR command (as in previous versions of UFT).
For details on silent installation, see the silent installation section of the HP Unified Functional Testing Installation Guide.

If I am using concurrent licenses, how do I get UFT to work with the License Server?
In the UFT License Wizard, if you select Concurrent license, you need to enter the License Server IP address. This checks the connection between UFT and the License Server, and also gives you a list of possible licenses to install.
After you initially install the license, UFT checks the specified License Server address each time UFT starts and takes the requested license.

How do I install licenses if I am deploying UFT across an enterprise network?
UFT provides a command-line tool that enables you to install UFT licenses without using the License Wizard interface.

How do I manage the concurrent licenses on the License Server?
The Autopass License Server has a full Web-based interface that enables you to install, manage, and administer all your licenses (both concurrent and commuter). You can see full details on how to use and manage this License Server in the Autopass License Server User Guide, provided with the UFT Setup program (in the License Server link).

Can I set up my License Server to work with a redundant (backup) License Server?
Yes. You need to install the License Server on two separate servers, and then set one server to be the primary and the other to be the redundant server. This configuration is done in the Autopass License Server Web UI.
You also can supply this information to UFT in the License Wizard, which enables UFT to take a concurrent license from the redundant License Server in the event that the primary License Server is not available.
For details on the redundant License Server setup, see the Autopass License Server User Guide.

What is a cleanup license?
If your computer is clock-tampered after installing the License Server, both the License Server and UFT's connection to the License Server do not work. In this case, you must get a cleanup license for your License Server. This enables you to reset all license capabilities.
For details on cleanup licenses, contact your HP license supplier

If you have questions that are not already answered here, feel free to let us know.

All these questions are also posted in the Knowledge Base article below (we're constantly updating it):

Considerations regarding Unified Functional Testing 12.50 and HP Autopass licensing mechanism

Best Regards,

Alvaro

If you find this useful, mark Kudos.

Note: The Opinions expressed in my post are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any answered posted.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.