Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

API Testing: How to decode password from excel source?

I need to build several API tests and manage the users and passwords used for them. I found it could be useful to link those passwords field to an excel file source, but I need to be encoded. How can I decode them during the test? Its a REST api test.

Labels (4)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: API Testing: How to decode password from excel source?

How are you encoding them?

Mark Smith.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Haven´t yet. Will do manually with the Micro Focus Password Encoder. My idea is to have users and passwords in one excel for all the API tests. Otherwise, I would have to edit every tests every time one changes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you are using UFT to make the API calls UFT should handle the encrypted passwords if they are encoded using the UFT password encryption tool.

You should be able to read the encrypted password from the spreadsheet/datatable and plug it into the API call.

Mark Smith.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Doesn´t seem to work. I tried with the encrypted password and failed. Changed it to unencrypted and worked. Shouldn´t I indicate it somehow that the password is encrypted? Or is UFT supposed to guess it is encrypted by it´s own?

Added a screenshot. I´m using UFT 14.52.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi

UFT couldn't decode the password of Algorithm encryption.You can try to encrypt password use excel cell.  

Please refer the picture.

security.password.png

Thanks,

Mango

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi Mango, thanks, but how did you encrypt with excel? Couldn´t understand the picture, sorry.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi,

Maybe you can get the method from below link.

http://learnexcelmacro.com/wp/2014/06/excel-cell-masking-for-password/

Thanks,

Mango

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.