Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Descriptive programming for Web services testing

Hi

I would like to be able to use descriptive programming for web service testing. But on running UFTs tutorial all the testing involves a lot of menu navigations. I dont like that.

Can you please provide some instruction on how I use descriptive programming to perform web service teting? Also can you please supply some samole code?

Regards

Mike

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Descriptive programming for Web services testing

Hello Mike ,

Descriptive programming is something related to UFT GUI Testing and Objects. When working with Test Objects of UFT , descriptive progeamming is used.

Web services testing do not involve GUI or Test objects. So there is no descriptive programming possible.

When you talk about Menu navigations and scripting it , I think you are talking about QTP/UFT's Automation Object Model ( AOM ) and not descriptive programming.

Right now AOM is applicable only for GUI testing part of UFT and not for API tests related things.

Regards ,

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HPE in any way . )
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi

Lets not use the term 'descriptive programming' then becasue its only causing confusion.

Lets not talk about OAM either (I'm not sure what that is but from you comments its not applicable to Web Services testing anyway).

I'll rephrase my question as follows...

When I tried running the UFT tutorial for Web Services testing I did not like the way I had to navigate through so many UFT GUI navigations, properties , linking etc. As somebody who prefers programming this put off using UFT for Web services testing. When using other tools such as Soap UI its possible to write a script which tests the web services.

Is it possible to writs a script in UFT to test web services?

I could then use the normal Reporter.ReportEvent method to create a UFT report and my existing functions to datadrive the test.

Regards

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike ,

Please get UFT 12.01 User guide link below if you dont have it already :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM01025302/binary/hp_man_UFT12.01_UserGuide_pdf.html

Check chapter 62 , Writing Event Handlers for API Test Steps , in the guide ( page 1891 ) . Please see if this is what you are looking for. It even has a topic called "How to Manipulate Data Programmatically" on page 1919 .

Regards ,

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HPE in any way . )
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi

CAn you please  provide some sample code and a bit of instruction on how I can get UFT to run that code on a web service?

Regards

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike ,

We do not have any other document which is more descriptive then the User guide.  Request you go through the same and get back to us with specific queries via support case .

But user guide is the manual which we have for your query.

Regards ,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.