Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Encrypted password

We recently installed UFT14.03 in a Win 10 PC, and we are using our own framework (no record and play) for testing in IE 11.

My issue is that UFT doesn't seem to recognize the edit boxes inside the Windows Security logon box, and therefore I cannot use SetSecure to enter the password. I changed it to use Sendkeys, however, I cannot send the encrypted password. 

Any ideas? We have been using UFT 12.54 in Win 7 IE11, where boxes in the windows logon box are recognized correctly.

Update: Opened a case, and the response I got was that I needed to use the UIAutomation add-in. It worked great, and now I can use SetSecure().

8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Encrypted password

I assume you are continuing to use your custom framework, have you considered trying to incorporate the UFT 'Insight object recognition' functionality into it (I've never tried it myself but I've envisaged it being a requirement for custom frameworks).

Is your aversion to using sendkeys the security aspect of including a readable password in a script? What I have done in the past is to create an HTML page that contains an editbox with a type of password. When your app needs the password launch the page, the user enters the password (which shows as xxxx, rather than the password) and UFT pulls the non-viewable password value and sets it in the apps password box.

The only downside is that the script can't run unattended. I've got the webpage code somewhere if you want it.

Mark Smith.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

I have not used UFT 'Insight object recognition', but I'll look into it. Sounds insteresting enough!

Correct, I do not want to include a readable password in the script. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to create such a page. I'll see what I can do with that.

I was hoping to get a solution as to why UFT14.03 does not recognize the edit boxes inside the Windows Security logon screen.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi there.

Have you tried using UFT's built in "password encoder" utility? You can use it in regular text boxes with the "setsecure" command as well.

Please observe:
Browser("Browser_Main").Page("Main_Page").WebEdit("EditBox_Username").Set "abd"

Browser("Browser_Main").Page("Main_Page").WebEdit("EditBox_Username").SetSecure "5adc0bee34a59fbe7267f759"

Both these commands, write "abd" to the selected text box.

So, give this a try and see if it works for you.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Yes, we have used it in UFT 12.54, Win 7, IE11, and it works perfectly. The problem is that in Win 10, UFT 14.03 does not recognize the text boxes (Xaml objects) inside the Windows security object: Window("Windows Security"). I read something that it might be a dynamic object, and therefore UFT does not recognize dynamic objects, but to be honest, I have not been able to dig deeper.

I tried using InsightObject, but I was not succesful either.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, there

Will you post a full-screen snapshot of the object in question which UFT cannot recognize?

Thanks.

James

Highlighted
Visitor.

Hello All,

Did we get any resolution for this? If yes, Can anyone help with the resolution.

Thanks In Advance!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Here is the Test Windows Security pop-up.  In previous verisons of windows the script runs well in interacting with objects inside of this windowWinsec.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor.

Any chance you could include a code snipet on this?  We have the exact problem.  I included the UIAutomation addin in the application area, but we don't have the code quite right yet.  We are using descriptive programming too.

I'm particularly interested in the setsecure implementation for password with the new Windows security window.

Thanks!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.