Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Executing Excel Maros through UFT script and capturing error/execution status of Macro.

Hi

I am developing a script in UFT that is to run Macro from excel sheets.

I am using “excelobject.run” to invoke the Macro and this working fine Macros are getting executed.

The flow is open excel sheet using excel object -> make excel doc visible -> Execute Macro using

excelobject.run

1. The next thing I am planning to do is capture error or Macro execution status in UFT.

Means after invoking macro if any error occurs during Macro execution the error should get caught by the UFT script and update result column in data sheet with the status.

Similarly capture the status of Macro execution completed and update result column in data sheet with the status

I tried with On Error Resume Next and next line called a function which will capture the err. Description and set in the result column of data sheet.

But UFT is not able to get the error description.

1. Other thing is to click on a POP UP that is coming up as part of macro execution and continue the script.

Scenario : in one of the sheet at the end of Macro execution it is throwing a POP Up which indicates macro execution completed successfully. To continue script execution One need to click on the POP Up. The script is not able to handle that part.

My understanding towards that is once macro is invoked by “excelobject.run” command the control is going to excel process and will come back to UFT script only after the Macro execution completed. Due to this my POP handling code is not able to handle POP up that is appearing at the end of Macro execution as the control is not transferred back to UFT script

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Executing Excel Maros through UFT script and capturing error/execution status of Macro.

Here you go 🙂

1) To return the result from the Macro function to UFT.

Here's an example.

'Macro Function
Function GetFunctionResult()
Dim A As Integer
On Error GoTo Error_handler:
'your code
'your code
GetFunctionResult = "Passed"
Exit Function
Error_handler:
    GetFunctionResult = "Failed"
End Function  

'Run Macro & Get result
Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\ExcelFiles\ErrHandler.xlsm")
ReturnVal = objExcel.Run("GetFunctionResult")
MsgBox ReturnVal

2) To handle Macro popup?

You have to disable all the pop ups in Macro. Comment out all 'MsgBox' functions. Or use flag & check if it's Manual or Automated run.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.