Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Has anyone used UFT to test chatbots?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here has used UFT to automate chatbots testing?

If so, please share your story.

Thanks.

Gilbert

0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, there

UFT is able to test the application if the technology is supported. When you say Chatbots, is this a client tool to chat with a service or something? 

Please elaborate on your scenario and we may understand better your request.

Thanks.

James

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Hello James,

Thanks for the reply.  The chatbot we have uses the directline3 for Microsoft Bot Framework Bot hosted on Azure. No voice interface, only text exchange between the users and the chatbot.

We are using UFT 12.54 and 14.03 versions. 

Chatbot runs on Edge, Chrome, FireFox but not Internet Explorer. A web version and mobile app version are to be tested.

Thank you.

Gilbert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi,

In this case, I believe UFT is able to help you with the Web testing. And if you have UFT Mobile, aka Mobile Center, you can also cover the Mobile version. 

I suggest you should download the trial version once you have an AUT available for testing.

Thank you.

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Hi James,

Oh I thought you are a UFT Expert who had tested chatbots before.

Yes, we have UFT and Mobile Labs tools so no need to download anything.

I was looking for a sample solution someone might have used/tried for automating chatbot testing like what I had in mind:  Create an Excel file with columns for Possible Input and Expected Reply then use this datafile in your test script.

Thanks anyway.

Gilbert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, 

I think the datatable in UFT can just do that as your request, namely to have an excel and populate it with data then feed it to a program. 

It will be a lot more efficient to contact a sales, or presales, to get it clear.

Thank you.

James

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Hi James,

Actually, you are not answering my question "Has anyone used UFT to test chatbots?" but thanks for trying anyway.

Your suggestions are telling me that you have not used UFT to test chatbots.

Just to let you know sales or pre-sales people will not know these things. Maybe they have seen demos but they don't do the actual testing.

Thanks.

Gilbert

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

UFT is a hands-on tool and requires interacting with the actual AUT to validate if it can automate it. 

What you need is a POC if you have not done so, that's exactly why James is suggesting to contact presales.

Of course please feel free to share with us roadblocks if you did do POC yourself and found it impossible.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, Gilbert

thanks for your question again. 

the thing is that a chatbot is software with certain functionality, namely to chat. Likewise, if you ask if anyone has tested web page by UFT, the answer will be similar. Even I have for sure tested Web page by UFT, it's still advisable to reach out to a presales for a demo to try your web page. Chatbot is not unlike this scenario. Even if i had tested some chatbot, for example, implemented by Java, I would still suggest you contact a presales for a demo. 

Hope it helps.

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Hi,

I'm not sure whether you and James are in Pre-sales team but I work very closely with UFT Support Team and not with Sales or Pre-sales team.  We have been using UFT for many years.

My question was very simple.  "Has anyone used UFT to test chatbots?"

If you have not, you don't have to reply.  If you have, please share what you did especially if you got it working well.  I think the tricky part is handling the unexpected user inputs especially in different language and the switch to an external site when the answer to user input or question contains links, that the user has to click to get his/her answer, which takes the user to external sites.

Thanks.

Gilbert

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Gilbert,

Good to know that you are an experienced UFT user and have been working with support a lot.

Then you probably are aware that without providing the details like , object recognition and sample scripts that you created but not working, no one can resolve your issue.

Your question was simple and at the same time too general, are you expecting someone having tested the exact same AUT to provide you a full UFT solution?

This is community and people here are trying to help as much as they can, I hope you can at least appreciate their efforts in understanding your issue and providing suggestion. 

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, Gilbert

thank you for the description of the tricky part. My experience is that yes, UFT can handle that. We have tested unexpected input like that on a Web site.

BR

James

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.