Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

How can I delete "greyed-out" objects in Object Repository (local)

Jump to solution

My Quest: to delete "greyed-out" objects in Object Repository (local)
I inherited UFT tests from the previous tester who now lives in another state (unavailable)
I check out his UFT Solution, and open the Object Repository local.
In the scripts, the method of using Windows cmd.exe and then telnet to a machine is commented out. putty.exe is used in the scripts instead.
In the Objects Repository, telnet is greyed, and connaot be deleted. The "Putty Configuration" object is malformed (it lost some of the putty web objects) so I want to delete it and redo the capture of the web objects, but it is greyed out. Doing a web objects capture: Objects Repository (local) --> Objects tab --> Add Objects to local captures the "Putty Configuration" web objects, but they arrive in the captured objects as "Putty Configuration_2" which the scripted lines error, because the "Putty Configuration" window's objects are not in my local repository.

If I can make the existing Objects Repository (local) change the greyed out objects back to black, they could be deleted and I could then do a fresh capture to give me what I need.
Any and all help are appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I found a work-around, but it is not a solution to resetting the "greyed out" web objects in the Object Repository (local). It's "brute force" but it works.

(Copy the guts of the old Solution)
1. Open the original Solution
2. Copy the contents of each Solutions Explorer Action (the name too) and save it in a NotePad
3. Click into the Functional Library, then File --> Save <libraryName>.qfl As . . .
   3.1 Save it to the ALM Resource area
4. File --> Close Solution  [if queried for Check In, stop, go back and ALM --> Undo Check Out]
(Create a new Solution which recreates the old Solution)
5. Create a new Solution with a similar name
6. Add new Actions (named what they were before and paste the script into each Action)
7. Associate a new Functional Library and point it to the <libraryName>.qfl file saved in step 3
(Build a new Objects Repository (local) with only what you want)
8. Resources --> Object Repository Manager
    8.1 Object --> Navigate and Learn [click on the browser tab for your Web APP]
    8.2 Resources --> Object Repository (local)
    8.3 (Windows) Open putty.exe
    8.4 (UFT) Object Repository (local) --> Object --> Add Objects to local
    8.5 [UFT disappears] click on the "Putty Configuration" dialog window
9. File --> Save All
10. ALM --> Check In

The result is a replica of the UFT Solution that has a clean Objects Repository (local) to use

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I found a work-around, but it is not a solution to resetting the "greyed out" web objects in the Object Repository (local). It's "brute force" but it works.

(Copy the guts of the old Solution)
1. Open the original Solution
2. Copy the contents of each Solutions Explorer Action (the name too) and save it in a NotePad
3. Click into the Functional Library, then File --> Save <libraryName>.qfl As . . .
   3.1 Save it to the ALM Resource area
4. File --> Close Solution  [if queried for Check In, stop, go back and ALM --> Undo Check Out]
(Create a new Solution which recreates the old Solution)
5. Create a new Solution with a similar name
6. Add new Actions (named what they were before and paste the script into each Action)
7. Associate a new Functional Library and point it to the <libraryName>.qfl file saved in step 3
(Build a new Objects Repository (local) with only what you want)
8. Resources --> Object Repository Manager
    8.1 Object --> Navigate and Learn [click on the browser tab for your Web APP]
    8.2 Resources --> Object Repository (local)
    8.3 (Windows) Open putty.exe
    8.4 (UFT) Object Repository (local) --> Object --> Add Objects to local
    8.5 [UFT disappears] click on the "Putty Configuration" dialog window
9. File --> Save All
10. ALM --> Check In

The result is a replica of the UFT Solution that has a clean Objects Repository (local) to use

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Do you have any Shared Object Repository associated with the test? Object Repository Manager can display both Local and Shared Object repositories. You can filter it by selecting which repository you want to view in ORM.

I haven't seen a case which local object stored in Local Object Repository is greyed-out. It's hightly that the greyed-out object is in SOR, and can only be editied in there. It's a mechanism to prevent accidential ateration of SOR which might affect other tests. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you, Hai, for your reply.

I'm only recently working in UFT / ALM based testing. I've only used UFT for 5 months.

I understand:
Object Repository Master --> Navigate and Learn
Object Repository (local) Add Object to local

I know nothing about Shared Object Repository .
Where can I read more on the SOR methodology?

Thank you again for your help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.