Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Launch UFT with the proper Add-Ins

Hello friends.

I would like to hear your "best-practice" apprroach regarding this...
I have various applications under testing process. Java, Oracle, WPF, Web, etc...

I do not wish to launch UFT with all of these addins loaded. It is not correct to do.
What I wish to create is a mechanism, that will decide what to do according to what's happening now. See what addins are loaded, see what is required for the test and decide what to do..!!
I need to hear what is your idea regarding this. Since UFT cannot load addins in runtime, I need to create something that will launch UFT with only the correct addins...:
I call this function from my test:

ret_addins = Verify_AddIns(Environment("TestDir"), missing_addins)
If (ret_addins = -1) Then
    msgbox "The following add-ins are missing :" &vbcrlf& missing_addins, 16"Missing Addins"
    ExitAction -1
End If

Function Verify_AddIns(test_name, missing_resources)

Set qtApp = CreateObject("quicktest.application")

' Create an array containing the list of addins associated with this test
    arrTestAddins = qtApp.GetAssociatedAddinsForTest(test_name) 
    ' Check if all required add-ins are all already loaded
    blnNeedChangeAddins = False ' Assume no change is necessary
    missing_addins = ""
    For Each testAddin In arrTestAddins ' Iterate over the test's associated add-ins list
        addin_status = qtApp.Addins(testAddin).Status
        If (addin_status <> "Active") Then ' If an associated add-in is not loaded
            print("The Add-In : " & testAddin & " is NOT LOADED with UFT. Test will now abort !")
            blnNeedChangeAddins = True ' Indicate that a change in the loaded add-ins is necessary
            missing_addins = missing_addins & testAddin & " " 
        End If
    Next

' Exit condition if add-ins need to be changed.
    If (blnNeedChangeAddins) then
        print("Missing add-ins in UFT : " & missing_addins)
        Reporter.ReportHtmlEvent micFail, "Missing Add-Ins in UFT""These Add-Ins were not loaded with UFT : " & missing_addins
        Verify_AddIns = -1    
        missing_resources = missing_addins
        Exit Function
    End If

Verify_AddIns = 0

End Function

So far goes for the decision point.
Now, how would you suggest I do for the modification of the add-ins...?

This is the command that can load the add-ins however this could be done before UFT starts.
ret_load_addins = qt_app.SetActiveAddins(arrTestAddins, err_desc)

So what is your suggestion on this topic..??

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Launch UFT with the proper Add-Ins

Are you aware of the UFT AOM addin capability?

'************************************************************************************************************************
'Description:
'
'This example opens a test and loads all the add-ins associated with the test.
'
'Assumptions:
'There is no unsaved test currently open in UFT.
'For more information, see the example for the Test.SaveAs method.
'************************************************************************************************************************

Dim qtApp 'As QuickTest.Application ' Declare the Application object variable
Dim blnNeedChangeAddins ' Declare a flag for indicating whether the test's associated add-ins are currently loaded
Dim arrTestAddins ' Declare the variable for storing the test's associated add-ins

Set qtApp = CreateObject("QuickTest.Application") ' Create the Application object

arrTestAddins = qtApp.GetAssociatedAddinsForTest("C:\Tests\Test1") ' Create an array containing the list of addins associated with this test

' Check if all required add-ins are all already loaded
blnNeedChangeAddins = False ' Assume no change is necessary
For Each testAddin In arrTestAddins ' Iterate over the test's associated add-ins list
    If qtApp.Addins(testAddin).Status <> "Active" Then ' If an associated add-in is not loaded
        blnNeedChangeAddins = True ' Indicate that a change in the loaded add-ins is necessary
        Exit For ' Exit the loop
    End If
Next

If qtApp.Launched And blnNeedChangeAddins Then
        qtApp.Quit ' If a change is necessary, exit UFT to modify the loaded add-ins
End If

If blnNeedChangeAddins Then
    Dim blnActivateOK
    blnActivateOK = qtApp.SetActiveAddins(arrTestAddins, errorDescription) ' Load the add-ins associated with the test and check whether they load successfully.
    If Not blnActivateOK Then ' If a problem occurs while loading the add-ins
        MsgBox errorDescription ' Show a message containing the error
    WScript.Quit ' And end the automation program.
    End If
End If

If Not qtApp.Launched Then ' If UFT is not yet open
    qtApp.Launch ' Start UFT (with the correct add-ins loaded)
End If
qtApp.Visible = True ' Make the UFT application visible

qtApp.Open "C:\Tests\Test1" ' Open the test
Set qtApp = Nothing ' Release the Application object

Mark Smith.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,
Not sure I have heard of AOM AddIn but know of the concept of AOM.

I know that piece of code from the web, however I beleive it aims more to be run through the file sytem as a VBS for example.

What I was asking is what is your suggestion regarding how to run this from UFT itself...? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Sorry Liorde, I run my scripts via Jenkins and use the VBS drivers, I thought most did this.

One thing to note - You are using the AOM from within UFT using Set qtApp = CreateObject("quicktest.application")

This is not recommended as you are driving UFT via its API from within UFT isself, sort of like a circular reference.

Mark Smith.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Yes I know... we're a bit "behind" here...(not so tech savy)

So what would you suggest...? I can launch UFT and make it check all it has to check as for the Add Ins. And if a change IS needed, would you recommend that UFT creates a VBS file? This I can do, however who would run this VBS file that would re-launch UFT??

What do you think ??

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.