Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Option for backing up UFT tests and code libraries

We are creating tests & function libraries containing our test code.  These are presently stored in our SaaS version of ALM.  The projects are backed up regularly however there is no option to restore individual files, in the event of data loss we would need to restore the entire project.  I would like to have separate backups of the tests and library files.  I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and found a solution?  Would is be possible to use Git or VSTS as an additional code repository?  Any other options?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Option for backing up UFT tests and code libraries

If you simply want to put your tests under a version control HP-ALM provides this functionality out of the box:

1. Management > "Libraries" module
  2. create a Library
  3. Add your tests to the library from the details screen.
  4. Create a "basedline" (put under version control).  

Baseilnes can then becompared to each other, Libraries can be exported to another HP-ALM project.

Reference: HP-ALM Libraries and Baseline

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

What are you trying to achieve (not exhaustive)
a) recover a corrupted test - if a developer makes a change to the test that corrupts it or UFT crashes during save.
b) recover the HP-ALM instance - your instance of ALM is damaged and lost.
c) short outage of SaaS provider - you want to continue developing / testing during a short outage to the SaaS instance of HP-ALM
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I use svn-tortoise.

Mark Smith.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

We are using version control already.

Mainly I want to protect against inadvertant deletion or corruption - particularly of the library files that contain the majority of our code.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks - I'll research that, appreciate the input.  

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.