Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

QTP Concurrent License Server Log files

Hi ,

Help me in finding the Concurrent License Server [Sentinel RMS] Log files to see the usage of the QTP 11 Licenses

I have verified for it on the folders where its installed and also in other related folders, but not able to see that.

Thanks in Advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Quality Center Support and News Forum to Unified Functional Testing (formerly QTP) News and Support Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

Tags (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

If you refer to the License Server Installation Guide (<installationDVD>\LicenseServer\MerLicSvr.pdf) you will find information about utilities that are available for viewing license usage.  Check chapter 5.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

Go to command Prompt of the license server and go to utils folder and run the following command.

License Server\utils>lsusage.exe -l C:\WINNT\system32\lservsta -c C:\WINNT\system32\lservstatest.csv

Once it finished successfully then you will see User usage report in lservstatest.csv file, which is located in

C:\WINNT\system32

Hope it helps..

Thanks,

Sud

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

So, I set up the log files... yea

I am generating reams of logs.... whopee

only a couple litle questions

1. anyone have a rosetta stone to the mass of data I am getting?

2. I found an access database on an old copy of QTP (9)... it looked like you were supposed to pass the text file thru some program (that I did not find) and the output was consumed by this access program that generated statistics

2a. Is this program still used? (Or does it have a successor)

2b. Can ya tell me how to use it? (where the parts are, how they work)

Patrick McCarthy
Humana
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

The file imports very nicely into an Excel spreadsheet.  Just exclude the garbage columns and set your delimiters for Spare and you will see a report that is easy to interpret.  I've found to quickly check on the number of users and the their time on the system,  this method is convenient. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

I am trying to extract the license usage files on my system from the ways suggested. Please suggest  the path(C:\WINNT\system32\lservsta) to save log files is a default path ? as it is showing me 'unable to open file error'.

Warm Regards.

Shobhika

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

In my environment when I installed the Sentinel 8.3.0 software (which came with QTP v11) logging usage was not on by default. I had to turn it on by setting an environment variable - LSERVOPTS - thus
LSERVOPTS= -l c:\temp\license_usage.log -z -2m
The details for this are available in the Sentinel help files available from the QTP media by accessing
\LicenseServer\server\SysAdminHelp\index.html
The environment variable option -l turns on logging and is followed by the full path and filename for they log, then the other option is to designate the maximum log file size (2 MB).
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

I got the log to export in CSV format but how do I know the column heading names?  I have a bunch of data but I don't know what each column relates to.

Thanks,

-Dominic

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I had to ask HP Support. I'm not at my desk now where I can get the info and repeat it here, but I'll do that later.

FYI to others reading this thread, there is info on the utilities available for setting up logging, decrypting the usage log file and other utilities in the Sentinel help files. On the QTP DVD go to \LicenseServer\server\sysadminhelp\index.html

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Regarding a "Rosetta Stone" for this extract, this can be found in the "Sentinel License Server System Administrator's Guide" on pages 24/25.

You can find this guide here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Step 1.  Install all the utils for Sentinal from QTP CD

Step 2. Search for lsusage.exe (thats what we would use to convert our log to CSV format)

(Assume its at C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\LicenseUtils\lsusage.exe 

Step 3. Open Command prompt navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\"User"\LicenseUtils

Step 4. Type in lsusage.exe -l C:\Windows\system32\lservsta -c C:\results.csv and hit return

Step 5. Verify C:\results.csv has been created.

Step 5. Insert the following headers to the csv starting from Cell  A1 through to Cell Q1

FeatureName Version DayOfWeek DateOfTrans TimeOfDay LoggingType KeysInUsed UsageTime UserName HostName LmLibVer NoOfLicenses ClientLockedStr QueueKeyId AbsPos GrpPos GrpName

and save it.

Step 6. Column G KeysInUsed represents the number of concurrent licenses at any specific time frame within the log.

Step 7. Open the ReportDB.mdb file from the utils folder.

Step 8 import Results.csv

( Tables>>New>>Import Table>>OK>>Browse to C:\Results.csv

(You would need to select Text files from the  Files of type dropdown)

>>IMPORT

Select Delimited>>Comma>>check First Row Contiains Fiels names>>Ina a new Table>>Next>>Let Access choose..>> name the table as "LServlog">>Finish

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

can you tell how to use log tracking

i am not able to make log4j 

please help me 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.