Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

QTP General Run Error: QT Pro computer is locked or logged off.

I have tried running a test suite automatically from the Quality Center Execution Flow and using the RunTestSet.exe that a third party has available in the downloads sections. The third party tool runs awesome when I'm setting up my test set and making sure it will run during the day.

However, when I set the test to run at 4:00 AM I always get the General Run Error mentioned in the summary line above. I have read a couple of articles in the message board which discuss fiddling with the target system to keep the screen saver/security features from locking the computer. However, that isn't an option in my test environment. We have access to PHI (Private Health Information) that is protected by HIPAA.

So I have tried the System Test that restarts a computer with no success, because it can't handle the dialogue box that warns that the information on my computer is private and the log in dialogue box that appears after you click on that screen.

Does anyone know of a way to script the login to the computer itself?
Does anyone know more about the System Restart test (which if there isn't more that you can do with that test is totally useless in 95% of the IT organizations out there)?

Any other ideas?

Dale
0 Likes
16 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: QTP General Run Error: QT Pro computer is locked or logged off.

Dale, starting with QTP9.1 or 9.2 can't remember which, MI at the time put in a environment check. When QTP starts to run a test, it checks to see if the PC is locked or logged on. If it is locked or not logged on, QTP aborts the test run. There is a patch that I got from MI that creates a registry entry where you can set to have these environment check performed or not. This way you can run QTP scripts when the machine is locked. I must warn you though, if your script causes any system type dialog boxes to appear such as a file dialog or print dialog, the test will fail. The OS disables user action on these when the machine is locked. I've used this patch successfully for well over a year. There are other worksarounds using remote desktop connections but the patch will work. Good Luck!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Paul.

I'm testing a web application so I don't usually get any windows dialogue boxes. What is the patch number you were referring to and can I download it from the new HP site?

Dale
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I am trying to schedule certain scripts for a repetative job executed through QTP 9.2 but as soon as the system gets locked the script fails. Can you send me the link to the patch using which i can overcome this problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

John - where can I find the MI patch that solves this problem?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey all,

I ended up submitting a support request for this issue and got the answer. It is a fairly simple solution designed for 9.1 but it works in 9.2 as well. There is no patch. There is however a registry setting that you need to change.

Within regedit go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest

With MicTest highlighted you will see many registry settings. Scroll down the list until you get to SkipEnvironmentChecks.

Change the value of this registry setting to 1 (from 0).

This will cause QTP to not check for the system being locked and will instead kick off your test. However, if the machine is logged off, it will not help. So make sure that the machine you want to run the script on is locked and not logged off and you should be fine.

Dale S.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I'm using QTP 9.0 with Multi Test Manager. When I schedule a batch test to run at 8:00 PM I also get the Run Error due to a locked computer. I've tried looking into the registry but SkipEnvironmentChecks is not there for QTP 9.0. Can someone send me the MI patch?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually, there is no patch. SkipEnvironmentChecks should be there for 9.0, 9.2, and 9.5. Look under HKEY_Current_User/Software/Mercury Interactive/QuickTestProfessional/.

Find the MicTest folder and highlight it in regedit.
The registry entries are in alphabetical order and you are looking for SkipEnvironmentChecks. You want the value of the setting to be a 1.

This will work as long as no Windows popups appear.

Dale Sprague
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Dale.

I only see registry entry SettingInfo followed by SnapShot, SnapshotFilesManager, StartUpDialog, etc.. but no SkipEnvironmentChecks like you have mentioned. Is there a way around this without upgrading QTP?

Andy
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Me too is using QTP 9.0... So in my machine i couldn't find any such regsitry file named 'SkipEnvironmentChecks' in the path HKEY_Current_User/Software/Mercury Interactive/QuickTestProfessional/?

Could you please help???

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Per the post above make sure that you have expanded the registry entries and clicked on the mictest folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest

I don't know if this variable was present in 9.0. That was way too long ago. I'm currently running 9.5 and will upgrade to 10.0 as soon as it is available.

Dale
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi ya, I´ve already tried changing the registry "SkipEnvironmentChecks" to 1 but my test still fails when I lock my screen. I´ve tried even restarting my computer after changing the registry, but nothing changed
;o( .

Anyone has any other idea to help me ?

Thanks a lot !
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.