Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Solution Explorer: How to change the order of tests in the solution

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to change the order of 2 tests in a solution and not having any success.

There are 2 tests:

1. TheFirstTest
  2. SecondTest

No matter what order I add the tests, they stay in this order.  I'm simply trying to run SecondTest, followed by TheFirstTest.  It seems to be keeping the order in alphanumeric order, which seems like a heavy restriction.  Is there a way to do so?  I've experimented with a kludgey renaming test:

1. 0010_SecondTest
  2. 0020_TheFirstTest

It does the trick, but seems to be too inflexible for such a powerful tool.

Much appreciated,

Bret

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Why do you want to change the order of tests in your solution at all?

The arrangement of tests shown in the "Solution Explorer" is not linked to the order of which test cases to be run. To run a test case, simply click "Run" > "Run" (or F5) and select which test case in your solution you would like to run. Running multiple test cases directly from within UFT is not possible and must be handled from ALM, or a separate solution.

On another note; Solutions as a concept are a pretty new in UFT and was introduced to enable the usage of an additional third layer in the hierarchy. See the UFT User Guide, page 174 for the whole explanation of solutions or the small snippet I extracted from the explanation below.

A solution is a collection of testing documents and other resources, similar to a binder or notebook. You
can use solutions to organize your testing documents to help you perform comprehensive application
testing.

For example, suppose you want to test a Web application for a flight booking application. You can create
a solution containing several tests or components that verify various aspects of your application, such
as logging in, booking a reservation, verifying the connection between your application and database,
and verifying the transfer of booking information from your application to an airline server.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Why do you want to change the order of tests in your solution at all?

The arrangement of tests shown in the "Solution Explorer" is not linked to the order of which test cases to be run. To run a test case, simply click "Run" > "Run" (or F5) and select which test case in your solution you would like to run. Running multiple test cases directly from within UFT is not possible and must be handled from ALM, or a separate solution.

On another note; Solutions as a concept are a pretty new in UFT and was introduced to enable the usage of an additional third layer in the hierarchy. See the UFT User Guide, page 174 for the whole explanation of solutions or the small snippet I extracted from the explanation below.

A solution is a collection of testing documents and other resources, similar to a binder or notebook. You
can use solutions to organize your testing documents to help you perform comprehensive application
testing.

For example, suppose you want to test a Web application for a flight booking application. You can create
a solution containing several tests or components that verify various aspects of your application, such
as logging in, booking a reservation, verifying the connection between your application and database,
and verifying the transfer of booking information from your application to an airline server.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

You can use the Test Batch Runner to run the tests in the order you prefer.
It is installed already on your machine.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Solution Explorer consists of Action,Object Repositories,Function.

To change the order of actions then drag the first action and place it after second action

while execution second action will be executed first and then first action will be executed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Simply edit the solution file *.ltsln file moving sections 

Project("  ... to .... EndProject

to the desired order

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
I know this was comment was 2 years ago but I am struggling with the same thing. My solution file *ftsln is in the correct order. However; Solution explorer is not. Any suggestions?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.