Sandygutti Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Terminal Emulator (SmarTerm) Configuration for QTP 11.0

Hello All,

Greetings!!

We are trying to automate mainframe application using terminal emulator add in with QTP. We are using Smartterm terminal emulator and when trying to configure the respective setting for the same, there is no success after trying different probabilities.

Can some one help in guiding us the same. And also help in answering the below details.

1. Does HLLAPI compliance for SmarTerm ?If yes,please help me in how to get HLLAPI.dll?

2. Which vendor should be selected from the below for smarterm. These are the vendors that are appearing in QTP

a. IBM

b. Attachmate (WRQ)

c. Hummingbird

d. NetManage

e. PUTTY

f. Seagull

g. WRQ

h. Zephyr

3. Which Emulator should be selected from the below list? .These are the Emulators that are appearing in QTP

a. Extra 6.7

b. Extra 7.0

c. Extra 7.1

d. Extra 8

e. Extra 9

f. INFOConnect

g. Reflection

h. Terminal Viewers 3.1

4. What is valid Protocol for SmarTerm in below list? .These are the Protocol that are appearing in QTP

a. 3270

b. 5250

Please refer the attached screenshot for yor reference

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sandeep.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Absent Member.. JPMS_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Terminal Emulator (Smart Term) Configuration for QTP 11.0

Hi Sandeep,

Currently this Terminal Emulator is not supported by any version of QTP.  According to Internet references the TE you are using supports the ports 3270 and 5250 for IMB environments (AS/400) 

The Vendor and TE versions listed above are the supported TE clients supported by default on QTP, for more information about them please refer to the Product Availability Matrix :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1210389 (QTP 11 PAM)

As a workaround for SmarTerm you could try the steps described ont he following article: 

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM182334 ( How to configure QTP and the TE add-in to use an unsupported emulator)

Hope this helps, Thanks

Juan Pablo Muñoz
HPE Technical Account Manager

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Sandygutti Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Juan,

Thanks for the information. But, I am unable to open the respective links provided by you. Can you please give the information here or please mail me to sandeep.guttikonda@tcs.com.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sandeep Guttikonda.

0 Likes
Jedidiah Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Juan,

I am also trying to automate SmarTerm using QTP Could you please let us know the process how to configure unspecified Terminal Emulators to QTP.

The link that you have mentioned is not working for me too as Sandeep said.

Kindly post the content in this page or mail me on estherindu@gmail.com.This would be great help for us.

Thanks in Advance

Jedidiah

0 Likes
Absent Member..

HI, 

If you are not able to see the Links below, you would need to associate a SAID with your HP Passport account. 

Here is the infromation to setup QTP for a generic Terminal Emulator: 

Note: It has being seeing that using HLLAPI is available mostly when protocols used between Terminal Emulator and server application are TN3270 or TN5250. If connection protocol isn't any of those, then configure to use "non-HLLAPI" approach ("Text-only")

1. Start the emulator and connect to the server. Verify that you have set a short name for the emulator session that you have open. Please refer to your terminal emulator's documentation for instructions on how to do this.
  2. Go to Tools -> Options.
  3. Select the Terminal Emulator tab.
  4. Click <New/Modify> (<Open Wizard> for QTP 9.5 and later). The Terminal Emulator Configuration Wizard will appear.
  5. Click <Next>.
  6. Select the "Configure a new user-defined setting" radio button.
  7. Enter in the name of your emulator.
  8. Click <Next>.
  9. Click <Next>.
  10. On the "Configure HLLAPI Properties", select the "Emulator supports HLLAPI" radio button only if the communication protocol used to connect Terminal Emulator toserver application is either TN3270 or TN5250. 

Note: 
    If using any other communication protocol, skip to step 16 for extra steps or alternatives.

11. Either enter in the path or browse to the HLLAPI DLL. The DLL normally resides in the terminal emulator installation folder and is generally named ehllapi32.dll, whllapi32.dll, or ehllapi.dll.

Note: the HLLAPI file name may differ. Mentioned filenames are based examples of HLLAPI files of "supported" terminal emulator versions. To know which file represents the HLLAPI required to use, check with Terminal Emulator vendor.

12. Enter the HLLAPI procedure name.
  13. Select the HLLAPI format. It is recommended you select "Auto-detect." If, in the next screen, QuickTest Professional is unable to capture the text in your emulator, click <Back> and change your selection to either "Classic" or "Extended.

Note: Use "Text-only" if QuickTest Professional encounters recording and replay problems.

14. Click <Next>.
  15. If QuickTest Professional is able to successfully identify the terminal emulator screen, you will see a screen capture in the HLLAPI Configuration Test Screen.
  16. If identification is not succesfull or don't see the screen capture in HLLAPI Configurtion Test Screen, try these trouble-shooting steps: 

1. Verify your emulator is connected to the host and the short name is set.
    2. Check that your HLLAPI property settings are correct (dll path, procedure, format).
    3. Change the HLLAPI format to "Text-only".
    4. Select "Emulator does not support HLLAPI" if all the above tips have failed. For configuration instructions using this option, please refer to Document ID KM181366 - Why is there no option to configure the emulator as VT100
  17. Click <Next>.
  18. You can save the settings that you have configured to a separate file so that other users can copy the terminal emulator configuration settings.
  19. Click <Finish>.

Juan Pablo Muñoz

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Jedidiah Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Juan,

Thanks for the information.For my TE SMarTerm, there is no HLLAPI file is exist.so I would like to go by selecting 'Emulator does not support HLLAPI' option.You have mentioned one document in your reply to refer when we configure with 'No HLLAPI' option.I tried to access it but it is not opening for me.

Could you please share the solution in your reply?

Thanks in Advance.

-Jedidiah.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Please try the following: 

1. Go to Tools -> Options.
2. Select the Terminal Emulator tab.
3. Click <Open Wizard>. The Terminal Emulator Configuration Wizard will appear.
4. Click <Next>.
5. Select the "Configure a new user-defined setting" radio button.
6. Enter the Vendor's name.
7. Enter  the emulator name.
8. Click <Next>.
9. On the "Emulator Setup" screen, click <Next>.
10. On the "Configure HLLAPI Properties" screen, select the "Emulator does not support HLLAPI" radio button.
11. Click <Next>.
12. Click on the hand button next to the "Main window class" field, then click on the title bar of your emulator.
13. Click on the hand button next to the "Toolbar class" field, then click on your emulator's toolbar. If your emulator does not have a toolbar, leave the field blank.
14. Click on the hand button next to the "Text window class" field, then click on the text window of your application.
15. Click on the hand button next to the "Statusbar class" field, then click on your emulator's statusbar. If your emulator does not have a statusbar, leave the field blank.
16. Verify the "Emulator process image name:" field contains your emulator's process name.
17. Set the "Configure Emulator Screen" checkbox.
18. Click <Next>.
19. On the "Configure Emulator Screen Settings" screen, select the appropriate screen alignment values. The red grid displayed over your emulator will display the results of your adjustments.
20. Click <Next>.
21. Set the "Save terminal emulator settings to file" checkbox.
22. Modify the path to the save file or leave the default settings.
23. Click <Finish>.

Juan Pablo Muñoz

0 Likes
Jedidiah Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Juan,

We have configured an emulator (SmarTerm) which does not support HLLAPI.While recording, objects are identified as below instead TEWindow / TeTextscreen.

Window("SmarTerm").Window("SXC").WinObject("AfxFrameOrView42").

However we are able playback the scripts.But am unsure the consistency and reliability of these scripts . Another issue is, while configuring the emulator using TE configuration Wizard, in 'Configure Emulator Classes' window, the 'Main window Class' value is keep changing everytime I spy on the TE.

Could you please help me in finding out the solution to make QTP to identify the objects as Terminal Emulator objects.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Please make sure you are using TE Session A and you are openeing the TE before open QTP with just the TE Add-in. 

If hte issue still persist, please create a new ticket in hp software support. 

Thanks. 

Juan Pablo Muñoz

0 Likes
BVP Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Buddy! It helped us.

0 Likes
yogesh_08 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I followed the same steps as said you .But In the steps from 12-15,I am getting the same name which is identified on clicking the hand button for all the four fileds.

for ex: On clicking Hand button and respected screen .The value is identified as "Windowsforms10....".Its the same for all fieds.

My terminal Emulator is Attachmate .I have also attached screenshots for reference

0 Likes
sarfarazalam Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Yogesh

UFT easily supports Attachmate emulator.I have already done mainframe automation of mainframe using Attachmate .

You have to choose Attachmate (WRQ) option in the Vendor drop-down and select the Attachmate version which you are using.

Please refer following two links.Hope it will solve your problem.

Mainframe Automation Testing Using UFT

Mainframe Automation-Manually Configuring Terminal Emulator in UFT

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.