Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

UFT 14.0 spy doesn't recognize objects in latest version of Chrome

Good afternoon,

In our company we are using HP-UFT version 14.0 for software test automation so far the tool works out wonderful with web services . However, a month ago we have developed a standalone application using the following architecture:
• Electron is used as overall application framework.
o Internally, Electron uses node.js and parts of the Chromium project, Google's HTML5 rendering engine.
o Node.js and Chromium both use Google's V8 JavaScript engine (the same version is shared). Two V8 runtimes are instantiated: one for the node.js main process and another one for the Chromium code.
• OnsenUI as UI framework for UI components, layouting etc.
o VUE as databinding/MVVM framework for the OnsenUI components

Currently, we have the problem that all elements within the application are not recognized by UFT; only the main window is recognized as a “Chrome Legacy Window”!

While doing some tests to find out if the problem comes from our application or UFT itself, I did install the Google Chrome browser  (version 59) in Windows 10 and try to identify objects within the browser. Unfortunately, I got the same effect as with our application: no elements were recognized inside the browser. I then tried to install manually the UFT agent in Chrome but no difference.

According to different blogs in the web, the latest supported Chrome version by UFT 14.0 is Chrome version 55; however, I am not able to download such version because Google does not allow it!

Questions:
- Is there any UFT patch available for supporting the most recent versions of Chrome?
- Any further idea of how to troubleshoot the object identification problem in our application?

In advance, I thank you for any hint and/or help!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: UFT 14.0 spy doesn't recognize objects in latest version of Chrome

Hi,

There should be no problem to work with UFT 14.00 and latest Chrome.

I would recommend to disable and enable the agent, restart the browser and try again.

Please remember that the browser must be opened only after UFT is opened.

Thanks,

Tsachi

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi Tsachi,

thank you for your feedback but it does not work.

For object recognition we have taken into account all advices described in:

http://www.learnqtp.com/uft-object-identification-tips/

but it does not seem to help. The object spy does not recognizes the elements. Record and reply works out.

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

To confirm the latest supported version of Chrome look in the Product Availability Matrix which can be found in the HP Software start menu folder.

Mark Smith.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

UFT 14.00 supports Chrome 59, it is in the latest PAM (stlinux - I would count only on the PAM to see what is supported, not on other websites).

I dont think the problem here is related to the browser version.

Some questions:

1. Can you check on another browser? IE for example?

2. What does the spy show you? 

3. Any chance your spy in in UIA mode (UI automation)?

Tsachi

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi Tsachi,

thank you for your answer.

So far , after several tries and and and, we are able to use the object spy to identify the objects inside Chrome browser. The problem was related to the fact that if no address is given in the address field of Chrome then no objects are identified. First, one has to invoke the browser and give an address then the objects can be indentified. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem with our standalone application. Our standalone application is still recognized as Window Object: Chrome Legacy Window. Does any body has a hint how to recognize elements, automate in an application using the following architecture:

*   Electron<https://electron.atom.io/> is used as overall application framework.

*   Internally, Electron uses node.js<https://nodejs.org/en/> and parts of the Chromium<https://www.chromium.org/> project, Google's HTML5 rendering engine.     

*   Node.js and Chromium both use Google's V8<https://developers.google.com/v8/> JavaScript engine (the same version is shared). Two V8 runtimes are instantiated: one for the node.js main process and another one for the Chromium code.   *   OnsenUI<https://onsen.io/> as UI framework for UI components, layouting etc.     

*   VUE<https://vuejs.org/> as databinding/MVVM framework for the OnsenUI components

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi Tsachi,

Thank you for the feedback provided. Unfortuntalely, after several tests we have not succeeded.

The main problem seems to be that our standalone application is using the Electron framework in combination with Chromium. It looks to me that  HP UFT  is not supporting this technologies, right?

While opening the ports of our applcation within the Record and Replay functions of UFT, UFT is able to start the construction of a connection  but then fails to establish fully the connection (see picture)

Do you know if in the UFT roadmap is any plan to support those technologies in a short-term?

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

I can say we will look into it, but can't say much more than that.

I suggest to open an Ehancment Request for that. That is the best channel to proceed.

Tsachi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thank you for your support Tsachi!

Last question: how to open a Enhacement request? Just email to HP ?

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Happy to help. You can open ER from the SSO site.

Tsachi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi stlinux,

How are you? One more thing need your clarification with regard to UFT supporting electron: 

Is your application working under sandbox mode? If it is not, do you think it's possible to enable sandbox mode (--enable-sandbox) in test environment to work with UFT?

The reason I'm asking is, according to the team's investigation, electron with sandbox mode enabled is quite compatible with the CEF support we've already introduced (as Tsachi showed in prior thread), while the no-sandbox mode requires further investigation effort.

Your anwser would help us better understanding how people work with electron. Much appreciated!

BR,

Andrew

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.