Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

UFT 14.03 - Browser Issues

Hi,

Recently got UFT 14.03 installed in work so we can automate some testing and I've been having a few issues with web browsers that I can't seem to figure out. I work as a PM and not a developer so my options to play around with stuff, get updates, etc. might be limited.

1. On my desktop PC Chrome works fine. When recording it picks up all the things I enter. When working from home on my VDI desktop (VMware Horizon) it only works partially. When recording it'll pick up entries into text boxes but it won't pick up clicking on buttons or links. If I use object spy it is able to see these items. I can add them to the repository and then use them in the test script ok but obviously this is a much longer way to have to go about things. Also on VDI when UFT is finishing a script it seems to hang for about 1 minute. So with a script that completes in 10 secs and is marked in test results as taking 10 secs in reality takes just over a minute to complete. Neither IE or Firefox have this issue on VDI - test results display nearly immediately after the test script has completed. I'm using the same Chrome 69.0.3947.100 (Official Build) (64-Bit) version on both desktop and VDI. Both computers use the same UFT 14.03 and the UFT agent extension is on and active in both browsers. Tried for searching all over for an answer but can't seem to find anything. Ideas - I guess it must be VDI related somehow but not sure how?

2. On both my desktop and VDI machines IE 11.0.9600.19100 has no problem picking up all types of clicks, buttons, links, etc. but it comes to almost a complete halt when I try to record on a screen that has a lot of elements on it. There's one screen in the application I'm testing where there's approx. 150 different text boxes, dropdown menus, checkboxes, etc. If I click into a textbox it takes about 2-3 minutes for the system to respond. If I'm recording the same screen in Chrome there's zero slowdown and all dropdown menu items show instantly. If I'm recording in Firefox it has a bit of a slowdown but not nearly as bad as IE - it'll take maybe 5 seconds for a dropdown to work. Any ideas? Firefox at least is workable on VDI so I can go ahead but would like to get Chrome figured out. Less concerned about IE but would be handy to get it sorted out too.

Thanks

C.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: UFT 14.03 - Browser Issues

hi, there

Will you help to elaborate VDI with a bit more detail? When you say you want to automate things in VDI desktop, UFT is installed as well in VDI desktop, is that right?

For the performance issue you mentioned, does it happen also without VDI?

Thanks.

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Yes - UFT is also installed on my VDI desktop. Same version of UFT and Chrome are on VDI and traditional desktop.

I think I narrowed down the performance issue a bit. Some of the screens that we work with on the application have a lot of elements to them and some dropdowns have lists of funds which can have 500+ items in them. When I try to access those screens with IE it just dies. Firefox is a bit slow but workable. Chrome has no problem with them.

My main issue really is just Chrome not recording when I click on links or buttons when I'm on VDI (but it does record entries into text boxes, etc.). Right now when on VDI I'm having to record on Firefox and then run on Chrome as Chrome runs tests much faster than Firefox. It's not the best but I can live with it for now. Was hoping that others might have experienced the same issue though and a solution would be out there but can't find anything.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi,

Is the same IE page works well on your local laptop? VDI is something new but as a desktop virtualization, it's supposed to be working like VirtualBox and XenDesktop. But that's my assumption. I will need to verify this assumption with our VMWare expert.

Thanks.

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks James.

Yes when on VDI both IE & Firefox will record everything. It's just Chrome that won't record clicking on links and pressing buttons but it will record normal actions. The same version of Chrome on local desktop will record everything so I guess it must be something VDI related but I can't see anything to change.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

hi, 

What is the Horizon version you're using? And, is Horizon a similar solution, like Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp, that you can both publish applications, both the application you want to test and UFT, and  Horizon provides a desktop solution? 

if it is similar as I guess, have you tried to publish UFT as well? or you're using the desktop solution?

Thanks.

James

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.