Absent Member.. Nick_NIPR Absent Member..
Absent Member..

UFT HTTP "GET" Request Body Empty

Jump to solution

I'm pretty new to UFT and service testing, I'm setting up an HTTP Request with the GET Method.  It seems like it should be pretty simple.

Previously I was using SOAPUI and it is working fine there.  However, when I send a request to the same URL in UFT with the same request xml I get nothing really, a general error message.  My developer says that the response is returned when no parameters are passed in, it is trying to print a test page, and is looking  for the url for that test page in an ini file.

Also, after the test has ran and I look at the UFT Results Viewer and the "Request Body" it is blank, there should be something there, correct?  Am I missing a setting or something somewhere?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. vzamoraz Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: UFT HTTP "GET" Request Body Empty

Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

In that case you need to add the new values on the xml, decode to get the URL and then pass it to UFT.

What you could parameterize is the url field and manage a list of decoded urls

Regards.

HP support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, mark it as an accepted solution.

Note: The Opinions expressed in my post are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any answered posted.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Nick,

What is the error message?

It would be posible for you to share the tests on the post so that we can take a look.

Thank you very much,

Best Regards.

HP support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, mark it as an accepted solution.

Note: The Opinions expressed in my post are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any answered posted.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Vzamoraz,

Well, the error message I get for this test is specific to our system, so I don't think it will be very helpful. Also, the service I'm hitting is restricted and you would need to have access.

However, I've tried the HTTP Request activity on multiple sites and always my "Request Body" is blank, shouldn't there be something there?  Or if there's a public test we can do to make sure we're seeing the same thing I'll try it out.

I had a book I first started with, here is the sample (request-sample.png) from it, even if I do this exactly the request comes back empty.  

The others are from my internal test.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

The Body Request is blank since that xml needs to be added by you in the http request from UFT

Regards.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

I figured this out, and your right.  I was wondering how it was displaying in SOAPUI but I didn't set that up there, so I had to do some digging.

It appears we are doing some "not so" best practices when it comes to this particular GET Method Request.  Instead of doing a proper POST or REST Call we are putting the whole XML as URL encoded in the URL for this particular request.  After I did this I got my response back that I was expecting.  It's an old service we have, but we still have it and need to test it.

So, now my next problem is to figure out how to parameratize that URL encoded XML instead of creating 100's of different tests or test steps, not sure if UFT can even do that.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

In that case you need to add the new values on the xml, decode to get the URL and then pass it to UFT.

What you could parameterize is the url field and manage a list of decoded urls

Regards.

HP support

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.