NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

UFT - first time ALM connection requires admin access.

Jump to solution

Is there anyway to initiate this first time ALM connection and file download/registration from UFT automatically so that I don't have to log in to every one of my client desktops after the initial UFT install.  I'm talking about having to do this manually on hundreds of PCs.  Can it be done with a silent script as part of the UFT install?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding your question, there isn't official information about the additional files downloaded.

What about creating a AOM (vbscript) that launch UFT on the remote machine and connects to ALM? If you do this theoretically using your Full Admin Right User it should work.

You can check the information and the below articles to see how to connect to QC/ALM from QTP/UFT and how to check if the machine is ready to run a test:

I did a sample VBScript, please find it attached for testing.

Note: This code is provided AS-IS and any modification will be the your responsibility. The Code is not supported by HP Customer Support.

Regards,
Bryan

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello William,

There is a utility  called “HP ALM Client MSI Generator” which can be used to generate MSI files for locally deploying ALM Client Components. Basically you can use it to connect your ALM, download and create a MSI file to install the components in each machine, refer to the following link for more information and download it: https://hpln.hp.com/page/hp-alm-client-msi-generator (make sure to download the version that matches your ALM Server).

So, you only will need to do it with your User (assuming you have Full Admin Rights) just one time, then just run the MSI.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bryan

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I've used the ALM client MSI generator before.  But in this case, I am talking about the UFT install, not the ALM client install.  I don't believe the Component Registration option of the MSI generator for the ALM client will affect the UFT install and ALM connection.  UFT requires the ALM add-in that allows you to connect to ALM from UFT.  After the UFT install and the ALM add-in install, you still need to run UFT once as admin to make the initial connection to ALM.   During this first time only connection, additional files are downloaded and registered, even if you already have the ALM client installed.

This is a change from QTP11.

Thanks,

William

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

So what I need to know is - what are those additional files being downloaded during the first time connection to ALM from UFT, and what needs to be registered.   Can I get the files from somewhere else and install/register them as part of the UFT install?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding your question, there isn't official information about the additional files downloaded.

What about creating a AOM (vbscript) that launch UFT on the remote machine and connects to ALM? If you do this theoretically using your Full Admin Right User it should work.

You can check the information and the below articles to see how to connect to QC/ALM from QTP/UFT and how to check if the machine is ready to run a test:

I did a sample VBScript, please find it attached for testing.

Note: This code is provided AS-IS and any modification will be the your responsibility. The Code is not supported by HP Customer Support.

Regards,
Bryan

"HP Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I am back to discuss this issue, as it has become a real sticking point for me.  I have several hundred desktops where I want to install UFT 12, either as a new install or as an upgrade from previous versions.  UFT has to be able to connect to ALM where we store all of our scripts.  The UFT install has to be done silently and remotely, since there are so many desktops and none of the users have admin rights to the PCs.  I have a script that I can push out to all desktops that will run as admin and successfully install UFT on each desktop.  The problem is that, once installed, UFT must be run for the first time as admin (or with UAC disabled) in order to establish the connection to ALM.  That first connection downloads some files from the ALM server to the client desktop and then probably does some file registrations, which requires the admin rights.

When I do this manually (ie run UFT as admin, connect to ALM server), the files are downloaded and everything works fine.  If I try to automate these actions with a vbscript, it mostly fails.

After disabling UAC, I tried running the following vbscript to start UFT and make the initial connection, but it is very inconsistent.  Sometimes the connection is made but most of the time, the connection fails.

Dim qtApp 

Set qtApp = CreateObject("QuickTest.Application") 
qtApp.Launch 
qtApp.Visible = True 

qtApp.TDConnection.Disconnect 

qtApp.TDConnection.Connect "http://xxxxx/qcbin", "DOMAIN", "Project", "User", "pwd", False

If qtApp.TDConnection.IsConnected Then 
   qtApp.TDConnection.Disconnect 	
End if

qtApp.Quit
Set qtApp = Nothing

So I need a better automatic and more reliable way of making this initial connection.  I cannot believe that no one at HP can tell me what files are downloaded and registered during that initial connection to ALM.  If I knew that, I could script these actions, similar to how I install the prerequisites.  It is just not practical to manually perform this initial connection action on hundreds of desktops.

Is no one else bothered by this issue?  How do others handle installing UFT on many desktops and being able to connect to ALM?  Do all of your users have admin rights on their desktops?

P.S.  I didn't see a way to mark this as unsolved again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I am bumping this issue again.  The solutions provided so far do not work.  After installation, I am required to run UFT first time as administrator.  This is impractical for remote silent installations.  I am about to install UFT 12 on several hundred PCs remotely using a script.  Currently I have to personally connect to each of those PCs as admin to run UFT first time.  That just doesn't make sense.  HP provides an entire chapter in the installation guide about installing UFT silently.  That is a waste of effort if you still have to manually run it as admin first time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hello William,

UFT is an intrusive software that require admin rights to install, and to work with ALM, if you continue have issues with this and your vbscript, what we recommend you it's open a ticket with Support and report this as an Enhacenment Request.

Raquel Vargas Aguilar

HP Support.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

[Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.]

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Raquel,  thanks for the reply.  The vbscript that was suggested does not work for me.  If UFT is so intrusive, then it is not suitable for large organizations, where installing on hundreds of PCs is not feasible if every one of them has to be manually configured by an admin to complete the installation.  We will probably have to look elsewhere for our automation needs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hello William,

I hope you're doing fine!

Thanks for your response, we really understand your concerns, unfortunately regarding the UFT documentation , the first time ALM connection should be perform with admin rights, but we really want to help you with this, so we can open you a ticket for report the Enhancement Request and the Research and Developers department can take in cosideration the issue for future releases.

You can provide me your SAID number , and we will be glad in open you the ticket.

Thanks for contact us,

Best Regards,

Raquel Vargas Aguilar,

HP Support,

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.