Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Unable to get UFT to recognize an Excel pop-up from a link

I have been trying to get an Excel sheet pop-up recorded with no success.

There is a link that is clicked (recorded successfully), then a pop-up that has to be clicked to open the file (recorded successfully);  and then the Excel sheet materializes on the page. However, UFT does not recognize that the sheet is there. Therefore it cannot be closed. All I need to is for this sheet to be recognized so that it can be closed.

The sequence should be:

Click the link.  ....(Good on this.)

Open the file.  ....(Good on this)

Excel sheet pops-up; close the Excel sheet.  ...( Failing here.)

I have tried all I could find that might be relevent from the HP knowledgebase; and other online solutions to no avail. Can anyone help with this?.  

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi Morgan588,

A brilliant trick when automation of the graphical components on the screen does not work, is to manipulate and automate the keyboard! 🙂

In your scenario, the classical Windows command "Alt+F4" should help you close the Excel sheet - hopefully!.

There are a couple of solutions to do this: TYPE, SendKeys and Device Replay.

See this for more information on the three different types: 3 ways to use keyboard input in QuickTest Professional: Type, SendKeys and Device Replay.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

How is this Excel window identified? Is UFT able to recognize this window or not?

Do you see a Excel process when this screen is up? If yes, you can try to close the excel process by using the SystemUtil.CloseProcessByName method.

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

UFT does not recognize that the window is there ...at all in Default mode. Yesterday, I was able to get it to "see" the window by recording that window using the Low-Level  recording option. However, that is not optimal; as Low-level recording is very environment specific. (This test will have to execute in the Integration, QA, and prod environments.)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Looks to me like a specialized control.

Talk to your developers to know more about it. If it's a browser control, then you can register it and check if UFT recognizes it.

Register Browser Control

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.