Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Using QTP v11 on a VM - neither asleep nor awake

We are using VMWare and creating VM guests where we execute QTP v11 tests.  Our QTP tests are stored in ALM v11, and we kick them off using Microsoft Task Scheduler to start a program that uses the TSScheduler object of the ALM OTA API.

Our VM guests are set up to never sleep, never lock, never go into hibernation or power saving mode, and never start the screen saver.  And yet, after a period of inactivity the screens go black.

When that happens the scheduled task still initiates the QTP tests which do successfully begin to execute, but all they see is a black screen.

We have tried adding to the initial script to do a series of mouse clicks to wake up the screen.  That doesn't work.

If the tests are in the process of running, but failing because the screen is black, if we connect via Remote Desktop or open the console using vSphere, then the screen wakes up and the tests can "see" again.

We've talked to our local VM experts who can't come up with any reason why the screen on the VM would go dark due to inactivity, when all the power saving options for the guest are turned off.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Martin Sander Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Using QTP v11 on a VM - neither asleep nor awake

Hi Trudy

We also had similar issues.

We have decided to upgrade to 11.5 which now includes the scheduling function from Performance Centre. This makes the whole process a lot simplier

We have created 10 VM Execution servers for QTP and now - theorectically - anyone can schedule an automated test

I know it doesn't help you particular issue but it may be worth considering

Thanks

Martin

0 Likes
Absent Member..

We will eventually upgrade to ALM 11.5, but currently it doesn't support BPT. We can't upgrade until it does.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Ryoganat1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Have you check the event viewer logs?  Do you have any trace of the OS level changes that led to black screen?

-Ram

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Trudy

Their are two answers to this

1. If you install with the evaluation license then you get 30 days of BPT

2. BPT execution still works after the 30 days - just development doesn't

Thanks

Martin

0 Likes
Absent Member..

@Martin,

That is not an acceptable solution for us, but thanks for the suggestion.

@Ryonganat1
There are no relevant messages in the event viewer logs. There are no changes being made to the system.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Sree6363 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

is your problem resloved? if not pls provide the which Virtual server you are using ie. Microsoft and etc and guest login permissions.

We use Hyper v Manager and all our VM are logged in as "administrator" and we never had the problems you are having..try logging into VM as Admin.

Thanks,

Sreedhar

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Our problem is not resolved (as one might assume since the thread is not marked Solved).

We are using VMWare ESX 4.1.0. We log on to the VM guest systems as the original Windows OS local administrator. We do not have the option to switch to Hyper V Manager.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Trudy

As a workaround you could write a little routine to open and close a simple appliction like Notepad ans schedule it to run every hour ?

Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Martin,

That would interfere with test actually running. But thanks for the suggestion.

What the tester decided to do as a work around is use powershell scripts to revert the VM and power it on. Then, after a suitable amount of time to complete boot up, the test scripts are kicked off.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.