Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Honored Contributor.. Molina4321 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Why did HP decided to call it "Functional Testing/QTP" under Products?

Just wondering why under the Products link, HP decided to call it "Functional Testing/QTP" instead of "Unified Functional Testing/UFT (formerly QTP)" or something similar?

Some people in our organization are confused.  No matter how many times I explain that QTP is now called UFT, they tell me I am wrong and that the product name is "FT" not "UFT".  They think that UFT (from the word Unified) means that you have both the Functional Test or GUI Test and the API Test modules.  I tell them "That is correct.  But the API Test won't be usable if you don't pay for it (requires different license).".  :<  (not easy to argue with the boss)   :<

If you know of a link clearly explaining the renaming of QTP to UFT, please let me know.

Thanks.

Gilbert

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Why did HP decided to call it "Functional Testing/QTP" under Products?

I would guess that the forum is named "Functional Testing/QTP" because at the same level they have a separate forum called "Service Test".

There used to be 2 products; QTP and Service Test. These were separately installed products, and could be separately licensed.

As of UFT 11.5, the products are bundled as a single installable product. I think, but I'm not positive, that with that version they also started selling just "UFT" licenses, enabling both functional and API testing features. I don't know that for sure, though. I know the "Unified Functional Testing version 1.0" concurrent user licenses work for us to run functional or API tests using QTP 11.0, Service Test 11.x, UFT 11.5x, and UFT 12.

As long as HP supports the older, separate products, I would anticipate that they might have two separate forums. Maybe someday they'll create one UFT forum and bring both the current QTP and Service Test forums under it.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Molina4321 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi Trudy,

This is the forum for both QTP and UFT. And since Service Test or API Test is included in UFT, I think this is it (already created).

I was talking about the list of Products. There is an item listed as "Functional Testing/QTP" so some people think that new name for QTP is now "FT" for "Functional Testing" instead of "UFT".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. vzamoraz Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Gilbert,

FT was the name of the group for functional testing applications, QTP was part of this group.

Now that QTP and Service Test are installed together sharing the framework then they decide to use the name Unified, indicating that QTP and service Test (from FT group) are now in 1 package.

Regards.

HP support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, mark it as an accepted solution.

Note: The Opinions expressed in my post are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any answered posted.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.